Luang Prabang, Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
February 5th 2008
Published: February 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Luang Prabang (and area) was a very scenic - the city itself is a UNESCO world heritage site due to the number of temples (wats) etc.

What we didn't expect is how touristy it was - it seems that since Laos opened up to tourists fairly recently and built an airport, it has been flooded with tourists. We couldn't believe how many families and older tourists were there - groups of them from all over Europe and the US. How these people decided to pack up the kids and go to Laos is beyond me.

We didn't feel a very warm reception from the locals but I can see why when you start to talk with them and you find out how the tourism has driven up prices and made some of them lose their homes etc. Others though it seems are very affluent for Lao with decent cars etc.

If we did Laos again I think we would have done more of the trekking and remote type travel as we had already done in northern Thailand as that looked to take you much more off the beaten path.

Added lots of photos - they sum it
Rice for SaleRice for SaleRice for Sale

Verrrry Freshy
up, so take a look.
All for now!
Scott and Linds


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Buddhist MonksBuddhist Monks
Buddhist Monks

the Vipassana monks during the morning procession where locals donate rice. We heard the monks sometimes only eat once in the morning based on what they are given.
Where the Rivers meetWhere the Rivers meet
Where the Rivers meet

Linds near the Nam Ou river; the Mekong feeds it just to the left of the photo. Strange - Mekong very murky; Nam Ou clear...?
Us and FriendsUs and Friends
Us and Friends

One couple from London, other from all over (currently LA)


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb