Farang in Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
October 1st 2005
Published: October 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sai WaterfallSai WaterfallSai Waterfall

Colour, Mark - COLOUR!!!
Before we get bogged down in the usual travel 'blog' I think we have to clarify a point. It appears, because of the way the site is laid out (no offence ally), that we have an ambiguous title. Mark and his Bag was decided upon as a pun - Gill is the bag!! The front page reads 'Mark and his bag - Mark and Gill,. However we didn't realise that if you join half way that title doesn't appear, and does not clarify that this IS a joint site. This site is written by me - Mark - simply for continuity and ease but relies upon Gills diary, Gills proof reading/editing, and most of all Gills ability to spell. Be under no illusion - without these inputs this would be a far tattier and tedious site (assuming it does read in an untatty and non-tedious fashion), and would probably appear as an example of how not to write a blog!

That out of the way - lets deal with our next instalment (guided and proofed by our own 'in house' editor - Miss Gillian Hoult) - Lets Hang in Luang Prabang.......


We arrived later that day, with no feeling from the waist down, in Luang Prabang. We headed off on mass, knocking cyclists to the ground if they got in our way, to race for the best guest houses.

After braking away from the crowd we aimed for one of the lonely planet recommendations, a $6 fan room with balcony - Hoixeng - with free fruit and coconut bread!!

Luang Prabang is a UNESCO heritage site. It is a lovely place, which hopefully comes through on some of the pictures. Every night there is a night market with food, clothing, home things, and a plethera of 'stuff'.

The food is sort of cheap, the bars and restaurants are nice and everything is pretty, but most of all the locals are lovely.

The town has an array of buildings with French influence including services such as 'La Poste'. There are some beautiful Wats and civic buildings and the mekong drifts lazily by while you sit and ponder.

While there we did the usual tourist trips. We visited the 'religious iconography dump' (it is actually a fine cave - Tham ting - half an hour back up the Mekong) with thousands of Buddha statues. The
Tham Ting CaveTham Ting CaveTham Ting Cave

Buddhas secret lair
cave has been patronised for centuries by royalty and dignitories, and holds a very important place in the hearts of Loatians for miles around.

After the caves we visited the 'Whiskey Village', which we havn't the faintest idea of the proper name, which offers Loa Loa - the local moonshine - with either the plain varieties or if you prefer you can have bottles with snakes or scorpians in (but we really can't get our heads around the idea that getting pissed with the preserved remains of creatures is a tempting option).

The 'waterfall' (Sai Waterfall) was visited, which isn't so much a waterfall, but is so nice with trees throughout the flow and in which you can swim (but very cold).

One thing we have noticed here though is that everything costs and that cost builds. These places which were visited had the cost of the tuk tuk, boats to ferry to and from, and the cost of entering, all of which are comparitively pricey. Not a big issue but we thought this worth a mentoin.

The rest of the time here was spent moochin, chillin, sittin, eatin, and drinkin. All in all a well
Buddhas Left in Tham Ting CaveBuddhas Left in Tham Ting CaveBuddhas Left in Tham Ting Cave

Buddha really is everywhere
worth visiting place - although if you're coming from northern Thailand you ain't got much choice.


Our next destination is six hours down route 13 (noted in recent years for it's armed attacks on government buses) to Vang Vieng - the home of tubing and 'happy pizzas'!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Lao Lao StillLao Lao Still
Lao Lao Still

Their version of Whiskey - a very earthy bouquet
Sai WaterfallSai Waterfall
Sai Waterfall

"Well done Mark - colour"
"There be Dragons""There be Dragons"
"There be Dragons"

Statue outside one of the Wats (temples)
What Wat?What Wat?
What Wat?

Sorry We'll only make that joke once
Golden MuralGolden Mural
Golden Mural

Decor inside the Wat
OoooOooo
Oooo

Sunset from the Wat on the hill
AhhhAhhh
Ahhh

And again
Night MarketNight Market
Night Market

Lots of pretty things


Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 93; dbt: 0.129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb