Pak Beng - Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
May 15th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Up early having had a crap nights sleep and now probably having contracted the black death from ratty.

Got some baguettes for lunch before heading down to the dock. Got on the boat and waited for ages as it packed up again.

Today the journey was to be 8hrs long. It was sunny and relaxing at first until the discomfort of sitting on a narrow bench started to become more and more noticable. Just chatted with people around me. The most eventful thing that happened was some dutch (training to become a buddist) guy had his camera stollen. As we were setting off he was almost in tears and praying to this little copper pendulant of Budda. Suddenly we heard this load shouting. We all looked over to see this large Lao block running, along side the boat with the dutch blokes camera in hand. We pulled up further down the dock and with a round of applause from everyone dutchy and his camera were reunited.

We did also see a dead pig floating in the river which now looked more like an inflatable with all four legs pointing straight into the air.

The journey was the Mistey Mountains along the Mekong
Mistey Mountains along the Mekong
same as yestersays except for the last couple of hours as we sailed through beautiful emerald valleys framed by jagged lush green mountains.

We arrived in Luang Prabang at 6:00pm. First impressions were good. Lots of beautiful colonial french buildings with oriental detailing. There are many trees in Luang Prabang and a fare few were flowering in reds, purples and yellows, makeing this a photographers dream location.

I tagged along with Venetia and Chressie and found a nice guest house just out of town.

Later we went out for dinner which was nice and while at the restaurant we bumped into a load of Canadians we'd traveled with on the boat.

Afterwards we headed down to the Hive bar with one of them, a guy called Josh.

While at the Hive bar we met another couple we'd traveled with on the boat, Will (brit) and Vicky (south african) both training to become lawyers. We al had a good chat and laugh but were unfortunatly forced to leave due to the fact that the bar along with everything else in town closed at midnight. The only place opened late that would serve alchohol was the bowling alley. So we grabbed a Tuk tuk (which we really didnt need to as it was just around the corner). Along the way we met a couple of Norwegians, Seve and Alex. So we drank and went bowling, which was a good laugh. Dont want to gloat but I did win but unfortunatly not by being any good but by being the least worst person there.

Must have left for the guest house between 3-4.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



21st May 2007

Pig
No picture of the pig?

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1012s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb