Gibbons!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Bokèo Nature Reserve
February 26th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Flying highFlying highFlying high

This is peewee herman, cruising at an altitude of 150 meters...

The Gibbons Experience!



This is possibly the most amazing thing we've ever done. We we're only in the jungle for two nights but we could have stayed for weeks.

We arrived at a small village in the mountains by jeep and then continued on foot to a jungle camp. Once there, we were given a harness to put on. After playing for a good while with the pet monkies and rescued baby bear we headed further into the forest. One tree we came to had a large steel cable tied to it. Our guides then told us to attach our harness to the cable and jump off the wooden platform. As you glide along the cable, the jungle wizzes past you and then suddenly falls away beneath you! You're cruising above the canopy when you see your jungle accomodation come flying towards you on the other end of the cable! Our treehouse was easily the best treehouse we've ever seen. It had a shower and toilet (with a drainage grill pouring onto the jungle below) and running tap water. It even had three floors and slept 7 of us in it! The guides brought us masses of food 4 times a day and showed us how to work the zip lines. After the first couple of lines - which felt really high - we thought this place was incredible. Then we walked to the next set of lines. Again, the jungle flies past you as you pick up speed- then the whole valley drops away beneath you and you're cruising 150 meters above the ground. The view from there is really special. We spent a lot of time just going back and forth, trying to soak it all up.

The first night we were hit by a storm so we were all freaking out. The tree was swaying and a guide came and told us to put our harnesses on; if it got really bad we had to bail out.
At dawn the guides took us out and tried to find the black gibbons. We didn't see any but it was amazing to hear them singing accross the forest. We had to move in silence and every time one would sing somewhere above us the guide would start us racing through the jungle.


We're now in Chiang Mai, Thailand and have have booked our flights to the Nam next week. Miss you all lots and hope you like our pics!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cheeky monkies!Cheeky monkies!
Cheeky monkies!

They're pets.
A baby bear!A baby bear!
A baby bear!

He's really cute and cuddly. They rescued him from Chinese medicinal poachers.
Nervous NessyNervous Nessy
Nervous Nessy

Preparing for her first zip. Safety first!
Our home!Our home!
Our home!

Ewoks included.
ChillingChilling
Chilling

Gibbon style
Another view from our treehouseAnother view from our treehouse
Another view from our treehouse

Can't get enough of them- especially in the misty mornins
Gibbons in the mistGibbons in the mist
Gibbons in the mist

We can hear them singing in the mornings.
Nessy makes like a tree...Nessy makes like a tree...
Nessy makes like a tree...

...and leaves the treehouse
A flying Nessy!A flying Nessy!
A flying Nessy!

I think she's conquered her fear of heights!


8th March 2007

Bums
I heard you were enjoying being a bum but did not believe it till now hope the home brew is good. got an interview for a new job have to save some money and try and visit i could handle not showering you know that don't know about the misses. you meet jack johnson any were i heard he was a bit of a bum. your mission if you except it from now is to teach a person in each place to say 'west side' or 'ur having a buble bath'
8th March 2007

Wow Amazing
Wow you pics are amazing you are so lucky, good on you both love u miss u Kirsty
10th March 2007

Oh my stars!!!
Those pictures are amazing - it must have been out of this world!!!! I think Evan will be deeply jealous...he would have enjoyed the `sicky bear`! Ness.... how did it feel to be swooping through the trees?Ask Pete how his mueslis felt. Loads of love MumXX

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb