Champasak (15-17 Oct 12)


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Champasak
October 17th 2012
Published: October 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wat PhuWat PhuWat Phu

Long, grand entrance leading to the ascent up to the sanctuary.
After the five day retreat in the Siphandon islands, it was time to head back northwards, and the next stop was Champasak. A two hour minibus ride and another 20 min boat trip later and I was there, which in fact was just a short ride away from Pakse where I entered Laos from Thailand.

Champasak is essentially a quiet, one-street small town, whose unassuming appearance belies the historical significance of the nearby Wat Phu, another Khmer-style temple complex. Wat Phu was built at the foot of the Phu Khao mountain that overlooks Champasak province, and was meant to be spectacular, and to inspire devotees. Well it certainly did its job! The templex complex is sprawling. Fronted by two large lakes, it's a long 800m walk to the magnificent entrance, before a steep and high climb to the sanctuary above, from where you can catch a bird's eye view of the vast plains of the province. Yet another imposing temple complex bereft of the usual hordes of tourists, the trip there was certainly worth the 10km bicycle ride from Champasak town (and back!).

Speaking of which, I learnt today the important lesson of inspecting your bicycle carefully before setting
Wat PhuWat PhuWat Phu

Looong, steep steps leading up. A real work-out in the sweltering mid-morning sun...
off! On the leg to Wat Phu, the chain on my bike came off, and I was lucky that a friendly, elderly Laotian was happy to help me fix the problem, which fortunately took just minutes. On the way back though, I sufferred a puncture, and was forced to ride on just one functioning tyre laboriously until I came across a small bicycle/ motorcycle repair shack. The proprietor did a really thorough job of checking for the puncture on the tyre inner tubing, and mending it with a rubber patch (using an improvised heating iron to solder it on!), then checking again using a basin or water. Twenty minutes later, I was good to go again, and it only cost me 5000 kip (about 70 cents US)! I was quite surprised he hadn't charged me more, considering the time and effort, and the obvious fact that I was a clueless foreigner. Or maybe he did, but either way, it was quite humbling and poignant to see how hard the locals have to work for what amounts to a pittance back home...

Stayed at Khampouy Guesthouse.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Wat PhuWat Phu
Wat Phu

And the reward at the top, a bird's eye view of the sprawling plains of Champasak province.
Wat PhuWat Phu
Wat Phu

The sanctuary at the top, Khmer-style, and pre-dating Angkor.
Wat PhuWat Phu
Wat Phu

The shrine inside the sanctuary.
Wat PhuWat Phu
Wat Phu

Last look again before departing...
Puncture!Puncture!
Puncture!

Patched up the good old fashioned way, with a basin of water, air pumped, and improvised soldering iron!
Champasak TownChampasak Town
Champasak Town

Basically one street, flanked by small guesthouses, restaurants, provision and other miscellaneous shops.
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Bonus points for deciphering! Something about smoking I guess...?
Champasak Puppet TheatreChampasak Puppet Theatre
Champasak Puppet Theatre

Which had unfotunately closed down, and was now overrun by weeds, and cattle feeding on them!


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0992s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb