Pakse + Bolaven Plateau!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Bolaven Plateau
April 3rd 2009
Published: April 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello!!

We finally arrived in Pakse after a very bumpy and distressing ride from Khong Island (we ran over a dog.... Michi wouldn't tell me what we had run over for about half an hour because he knew I would be upset - he was right - but it was a dog! poor thing!) and checked into a not-so-great hostel and then went out for lunch! After lunch we saw that there were direct buses to Bangkok (apart from a bus-change after the border) at 3pm each day and made a spur of the moment decision to not stay in Pakse that night (as there was really nothing to do there) but to rent a moped that afternoon and drive to the Bolaven Plateau, stay the night somewhere up there and drive back the next day, stopping off at all the waterfalls, in time for the afternoon bus to Bangkok!

We were worried we wouldn't get to our hostel before it got dark or that we wouldn't be able to find it etc. (it was all a bit spontaneous!) but it turned out fine..... the drive there was really fun - I drove most of the way so Michi could take photos and also because whoever drove didn't have to carry the rucksack hehe - we passed through lots of interesting little villages and the countryside was amazing!

That night we stayed in a little bamboo hut and had a really yummy dinner before I ran to our room (leaving Michi to take photos of a waterfall just infront of the hostel) to escape the mosquitoes!

The next day we drove back to Pakse, taking a detour to stop off at some waterfalls and try some home-grown coffee in a little town high up in the B.Plateau (over 1000m - which was nice and cool compared to the heat of down under!) near Pakse, the drive again was really nice and really fun!! Luckily (although don't ask me how) we managed to avoid running over any animals on both the days..... there were constantly animals meandering out into the road or making a very slow crossing.... goats, millions of chickens, dogs, pigs etc etc! hehe! :o)

We nearly missed our connecting bus in Ubon (Thailand) as our bus leaving Pakse broke down after about 5minutes down the road from the bus terminal and we were stranded on the side of the road for hours! However, we got to Bangkok fine in the end and Michi treated us to a lovely 4* hotel in Bangkok for our last 2 nights! We did lots of sightseeing (although unfortunately I don't have the photos), shopping and a ridiculous amount of eating - it was really sad saying goodbye to Michi yesterday although it really is almost good that he has gone now because he was making me really chubby again and undoing all wonderful weight loss in Malaysia! :o)

Last night Michi took me to the bus stop, where I got the overnight bus to Changmai, and he went to the airport to get his fight back to Munich! I'm not sure how long I am staying in Changmai yet! Tomorrow I'm going to do an introduction to Buddhist meditation at a monastery just out of town - its from Sunday afternoon to Monday morning and includes an overnight stay at the monastery! I have just read someone's blog on it and it sounds really good - you get robes and everything! I'm quite excited! :o)

Anyway, I'm going to go and find some lunch and a laundry now and maybe inquire about a cooking course for a day next week! :o)

I really can't wait to come home and see you all now.... I'm already counting the days! :o)

Lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb