LAOS-XIENG KHOUANG-10-0503 THRU 0504


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » East » Plain of Jars
May 1st 2010
Published: May 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

LAOS-PHONSAVAN-XIENG KHOUANG-PLAIN OF JARS...
Xieng Khounag has been the only place I have to come where the weather has been dry and cool in 22 degrees Celcius...Hail the Lord...It brought tears to my eyes...I checked into the hotel and arranged for a ride to the plains. First to site 1 then to site 2. There are many jar locations. These two along with site number 3 are the ones that are open to the tourist. It was drizzling a little when we started the ride, but by the time we (The driver and I) got to the site 1 it was all clear and cool...They are impressive and their mystery adds to their magic and beauty...What was there purpose, how were they lifted to the top of the hills, etc...The area of Xieng Khoung was heavily bombed during the Vietnam War and so in the plains there are many bomb craters. Actually bomb shells and grenade shelld are a part of he decor of many shops and houses...The lands are heavily mined and the Mine Advisory Group (MAG) is hard at work clearing the plains... So I stuck to the path most travelled...Site number 2 is divided into two parts. One hill with dense forest the other with open plains. It is interesting how the pschology and the mythology of the forest differs from that of the plain. In the plain their is the horizon, the vision, stillness. In the forest there is movement and the wonderment of what lays behind the trees, around the corner...In the forest the sound of the crickets was magnified and loud to a point where I had to cover my ears...Legend has it when you hear the sound of the crickets, that is the begining of the rainy season...In the Open plains on top of the hills, I felt I was in a scene from the Sound Of Music, minus Julie Andrews singing ofcourse...The views are of the stepped rice patties are spectacular...I highly, highly recommend visiting the Plain...It was a great day...I feel inspired...There was no one in the plains...Alone the experience was surreal...
Adieu for now...Tomorrow I drive to Luang Prabang...
M



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

SITE 1
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

BOMB CRATER...
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

SITE 2...
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

SITE 2-FOREST...
Photo 16Photo 16
Photo 16

SITE 2- THE PLAINS


Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb