Life in Bishkek


Advertisement
Kyrgyzstan's flag
Asia » Kyrgyzstan » Bishkek
August 5th 2007
Published: August 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lenin StatueLenin StatueLenin Statue

This statue of Lenin is still in Bishkek, although it's been moved to a less prominent location.
So after a few weeks in Omaha, I've bought all kinds of stuff... I heard from Philippe just before leaving, so I got a list of things to bring/leave behind. Everything seems small, expensive, and somehow it will become invaluable. My super-cute Grandma is watching incredulously as I unpack prescription drugs, camelback mouthpieces, and backpack covers. I enjoy explaining how all of these things will come into play in the coming weeks and months, and Grandma tries her best to act like it all makes sense to her.

Flying halfway around the world.... it takes awhile. The actual flying time was about 24 hours, with a day layover in Denver, a couple of hours in London, and a few minutes in Tblisi (Georgia... the country, not the state). The flight pulled up in Bishkek at about 4 in the morning, and the whole place was up and running to get us processed and into their country.

Philippe was just outside of customs, and seeing his face was such a welcome sight. He took care of everything, got me into a cab, and soon we were back at Sabir's place, the homestay that would become our basecamp for the next
Every city has a tomb of the unknown soldierEvery city has a tomb of the unknown soldierEvery city has a tomb of the unknown soldier

I'm not certain that that's what this is, but it is guarded by soldiers and they do a changing of the guard routine each day at noon.
month.

The jetlag wasn't as bad as you might think. We walked around town, visited the ex-pat restaurant (Fatboys) for a little breakfast, and then I took a nap. The daily nap became ritual for a few days, but there was so much going on that it wasn't too hard to adjust.

The internet cafes are all over, as are the money exchangers... but Yahoo is so slow that it is painful and we end up crabby after 30 minutes of trying to open an email from home. It turns out that it is easier to make internet (Skype) phone calls - assuming you can get the timing right.

Pretty soon, we begin making plans... first, we need to extend Philippe's visa, and Bishkek is overwhelmed with planning for the SCO conference, which basically means that the superpowers of Russia, the former Soviet Union countries, and China are all coming to Bishkek. So the visa extension office in Bishkek is closed. Welcome to Kyrgyzstan.

We decide to switch up our plans and head to Karakol, a town about 8 hours away, with lots of trekking. We'll get the visa situation straightened out and spend some time
Veterans on paradeVeterans on paradeVeterans on parade

These wasn't the most organized crew (the guys in the back were drunk), but made for an interesting show through the main square of Bishkek.
trekking, acclimitizing, and beginning to make it through the day without a nap!



Advertisement



26th May 2008

Hi, I am from Bishkek
It's funny, but I was in Bishkek at the same time as you. I live in China for 3 years already, and I had a vocation there in august 2007. So, do you like Bishkek?

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb