Kurchatov - A hidden city.


Advertisement
Kazakhstan's flag
Asia » Kazakhstan
July 27th 2006
Published: August 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in Almaty (formerly Alma-Ata, formerly the capital of Kazakhstan) which is in the foothills of the Tian Shan Mountains, to transit through both Astana and Semey (Semipalatinsk) on the way to Kurchatov.

Bright new airports in Almaty and Astana contrast with the old soviet style airport in Semey. On the Antonov turboprop into Semey, I was seated beside a young Kazakh boy who proudly showed me how to lower the chairback tray (I must be younger than I look)

At Semey, the ground crew wore no ear muffs, and at times there were white caps on the waves in the coffee from the vibration. On the road from Semey to Kurchatov there is a military base with rows and rows of old Russian Tanks. When my friend was observed taking a picture he was told by plainclothes officers to delete it, but it can be better seen on Google Earth, 50°23'00.02",80°09'10.81"

The long road across the plains is only occasionally broken by old russian style villages - it is noticeable how very few grazing animals or farms there are.

Kurchatov (50.37.27.9N, 78.32.05.4E) was a Soviet hidden city which is not on any map I have
Almaty AirportAlmaty AirportAlmaty Airport

With the Tian Shan Mountains in the background.
seen, where Igor Kurchatov and his team developed and tested atomic bombs.

The town has seen better days, most of the buildings now are abandoned. The locals say that Sakarov used to stay at the hotel we were staying at, and that Lavrenty Beria lived across the road when he was supervising the bomb development.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Lavrenty Beria's HouseLavrenty Beria's House
Lavrenty Beria's House

It is just creepy having him for a neighbour.
Our home away from home.Our home away from home.
Our home away from home.

And our ride. Note the power line going in the window.
War MemorialWar Memorial
War Memorial

From Behind.
Irtysh river beside Kurchatov.Irtysh river beside Kurchatov.
Irtysh river beside Kurchatov.

The Irtysh river is the primary tributary of the Ob. It end up in the artic ocean.


2nd August 2006

Public Washrooms
Ok, the washroom at the Semey International Airport - is it the men's or the woman's?
5th June 2009

Public Washroom
Must be the woman's because I've been in the men's and it doesn't have walls around the squat toilets.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 75; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb