The origin of the flame of Hiroshima and Nagasaki


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
April 20th 2014
Published: September 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.67, 139.77

In a corner of Ueno park, kind of hidden behind the zoo, you can find a shrine dedicated to Tokugawa Ieyatsu and located on the ground of his residence. Despite its remarquable archictecture, this shrine won't be the main topic of this post. I thought I would write few words about a small monument that I stumbled upon on my way to the shrine. This memorial is a little bit hidden on the right hand side, off the path. On the plate next to it, we can read the story of the origin of the flame of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Ueno:

"On August 6, 1945, US forces dropped the world's first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, and another on Nagasaki on August 9 the same year, claiming the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in an instant. Even now, many survivors are still suffering from the damage.
Some times later, Tatsuo Yamamoto went to Hiroshima in search of his uncle, and found a flame of the atomic bomb burning in the ruins of his uncle's house. He brought it back to Hoshino-mura, his hometown in a memento of his uncle and an expression of his resentment. But years went by, the meaning of the flame turned into a symbol of his desire for abolition of nuclear weapons and for peace. Hoshino-mura built a torch and transferred the flame to it on August 6, 1968. It has been keeping the flame ever since as the flame for peace, with the support of the villagers.
In 1988, a flame was taken from the torch and was merged with another flame lit by the friction of broken roofing tiles of Nagasaki. Along with 30 million signatures collected in support of the "Appeal from Hiroshima and Nagasaki", it was carried to the Third Special Session of the UN General Assembly for Disarmament taking place in New York City.
In April the same year, members of “Shitamachi People Association" put forward the idea of lighting the flame at the precinct of Ueno Toshogu Shrine in Tokyo. Rev. Shozen Saga, the chief priest, warmly welcomed the proposal, and promised to set up a monument and work together to keep the flame burning.
In April 1989, an “Association for the Flame of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Lit at Ueno Toshogu” was founded with the people of wide ranging people. Tens of thousands of people took part in the fundraising for over one year and the construction of the monument was completed on July 21, 1990.
In commemoration of the 45th year of the A-Bomb tragedies, a flame of Hiroshima was taken from the Hoshino-mura and lit at the monument on August 6, and a flame of Nagasaki, generated by the friction of Nagasaki roofing tiles, was also added to the monument.
We, hereby pledge to keep burning the A-bomb flame, convinced that this monument will contribute to strenghtening the worldwide people's movement to abolish nuclear weapons and achieve peace, which is the most urgent task for the people across the borders.
August 1990 – Association of the Flame of Hiroshima & Nagasaki lit at the Ueno Toshogu

Dans un recoin du parc Ueno, un peu caché derrière le zoo, se trouve un shrine dédié à Tokugawa Ieyatsu. Malgré son architecture remarquable, ce n'est pas le sujet du poste d'aujourd'hui. Je me suis dit que ce serait une bonne idée d'écrire sur un petit monument qui passe presque inaperçu. Quand on marche en direction du shrine, il se trouve en retrait, sur la droite. Ce petit mémorial sur lequel brule une flamme et accompagné d'un petit écriteau sur lequel on peut lire l'histoire de l'origine de la Flamme d'Hiroshima et Nagasaki à Ueno.

“Le 6 Août 1945, les forces armées américaines ont larguées la première bombe atomique sur Hiroshima, et quelques jours plus tard, le 9 Août, sur Nagasaki, faisant des milliers de victimes en un instant. De nos jours, les survivant souffrent encore des dommages causés jadis.
Quelques temps après l'explosion, Tatsuo Yamamoto se rendit à Hiroshima pour chercher son oncle. Il trouva une flamme brulant dans les décombres de la maison de son oncle et la ramena dans son village natal d'Hoshino-mura en souvenir de son oncle et pour exprimer son ressentiment. Les années passèrent, et la flamme devint le symbole de son combat contre les armes nucléaires et pour la paix. Le village d'Hoshino-mura construisit une torche et y transféra la flamme le 6 Août 1968. La flamme y brûle depuis en symbole de la paix.
En 1988, une flamme fut prise de la torche et mélangée avec une flamme produite par la friction de tuile de toit provenant de Nagasaki. La nouvelle flamme et une pétition de 30 milles signatures recueillis pour supporter l'association « Appeal from Hiroshima and Nagasaki », furent apportées devant la troisième session spéciale des Nations Unis pour le désarmement qui se tenait à New York.
En Avril de la même année, les membres de « Shitamachi People Association » proposèrent l'idée d'allumer la flamme aux abords du shrine Toshogu dans le parc Ueno de Tokyo. Révérant Shozen Saga accueillie la proposition avec enthousiasme, promis de construire un monument et de travailler ensemble afin de garder la nouvelle flamme vivante.
En Avril 1989, « Association for the Flame of Hiroshima and Nagasaki lit at UenoToshogu » fut créée avec la contribution de personnes de divers horizons. Des milliers de personnes ont pris part à la collecte des fonds nécessaires et la construction de mémorial fut achevée le 21 Juillet 1990.
En commémoration du 45ème anniversaire de la chute de la bombe atomique, une flamme d'Hiroshima fut prise de Hoshino-mura et mise à brûler dans le monument le 6 Août, et une flamme de Nagasaki (allumée à partir de tuiles) fut aussi ajoutée.
Par la présente, nous promettons de garder les flammes de la bombes atomiques vivantes et sommes convaincus que ce monument contribuera a renforcer le mouvement mondial de lutte contre les armes nucléaires et conduira à la paix, ce qui est la tâche la plus urgente pour les gens de toutes nationalités.
Août 1990 - Association for the Flame of Hiroshima and Nagasaki lit at UenoToshogu »


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb