Daitoku-ji complex


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
April 2nd 2014
Published: September 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.01, 135.75

Daitoku temple complex is a large enclosed area in northern Kyoto. The place is the head quarter of the Rinzai school, a branch of Japanese Zen Buddhism. The complex is composed by the main temple, Daitoku temple, and about 24 subtemples. According to many guides, it is one of the best place in Japan to experience Zen culture and architecture and to enjoy Zen gardens. Not all the temples are open to the public. And you have to pay a fee for each open temple you wish to visit. So I choose two of them a little bit randomly.

Koto-in is probably the most famous temple in Daitoku-ji, especially known for its maple trees producing beautiful colours in autumn. The temple was established in 1601 by Hosokawa Tadaoki. Hosokawa was a successful warrior who fought for the 3 unifiers of Japan (see Osaka entry). His skills as a commander were rewarded by a vast amount of land, and he devoted his later life to the study of Zen. He was also known as one of the best pupils of the renowned tea master Sen Rikyu. His passion for the tea ceremony explain the presence of two tea room in the temple, called Shoko-ken and Horai. Shoko-ken tea room is only the size of two tatami and all the utensils are stored in a three-tatami room next door.

To reach the temple from the street, you have to follow a small paved path. After the first 90° turn, you cross the front gate (a large, old-looking wooden door) and there it feels like you have entered into a different space and time. The ground, on each side of the path, is covered with moss and the alley is lined with maple trees and bamboo. A few grey stones here and there reminds you that you have entered a "Zen zone". The peace and the harmony here are just a prequel to what is awaiting for you in the temple. You follow the path and after a third 90° turn you walk through a smaller gate into the temple.

I was lucky to visit the temple early in the morning and I was almost the only person there. Thus I could fully enjoy the peace and serenity of the moss garden. This garden is very simple: a large area covered with well-groomed moss, one lantern in a corner, some maple trees and bamboo in the background. It was so quiet that I could hear the sound of the wind within the bamboo leaves. At the back of the house, you will find the slippers that will allow you to visit the rest of the garden but don't walk on the moss! At the back are the tombs of the master and his wife as well as the one of Izuno no Okuni, the founder of kabuki (traditional Japanese theatre). The temple itself is rather small but finely decorated with some exquisite paintings.

Oubai-in was built in 1562 by Toyotomi Hideyoshi (who was military governor of Kyoto) for its master, Lord Oda Nobunaga. It was first built as a small hermitage. After the death of Oda, Toyotomi rebuilt the gate and the main hall. At the same time, the magistrate Kobayakawa donated the bell tower and the kitchen. It is well worth mentioning, as this kitchen is now the oldest Zen kitchen in Japan (you can still see the original one). Except some recent building at the entrance, all buildings are originals.

On the temple ground, you will be able to enjoy the finest Zen architecture and few Zen garden. However it is
forbidden to take photograph (except in the front garden). The main central garden, Jikichu-tei, was created by Sen Rikyu himself. It's a dry-landscape garden covered with moss. It features a gourd-shaped pond flanked by a Korean lantern (bought back from Korea). The gourd shape was a favourite of Toyotomi Hideyoshi and was also present on his battle flag.

My favourite garden was at the very back of the temple. It is a small rectangular dry-landscape garden. At the north of it are installed several upright rocks representing a waterfall. The stream of the river is represented with raked gravels, lines and rounds mimic the current. At the south end, a small stone represent a boat. The 'stream' goes on in direction of the main building. The design of the garden may represent the eternal cycle of rebirth.

Le temple Daitoku se situe au nord de Kyoto. C'est le siège de l'école Rinzai, une branche du bouddhisme zen japonais. Le complexe se compose du temple principal, Daitoku, et d'environ 24 temples secondaires. D'après plusieurs guides, c'est le meilleur endroit au Japon où apprécier la culture et l'architecture Zen ainsi que les jardins. Tous les temples ne sont pas ouverts au public et il faut payer pour chaque temple séparément. Du coup j'ai choisi d'en visiter deux.

Koto-in semble être le plus connu, particulièrement pour ces érables qui produisent de magnifiques couleurs à l'automne. Le temple fut construit en 1601 par Hosokawa Tadaoki. Hosokawa était un guerrier brillant qui combattit pour les 3 généraux qui ont œuvrés à l'unification de Japon (voir article sur Osaka). Son mérite fut récompensé et il obtint de nombreuse terres. Il passa ainsi la fin de sa vie à étudier le Zen, il est même connu comme étant l'un des plus talentueux disciples du grand maître Sen Rikyu. Sa passion pour la cérémonie du thé transparaît dans la présence de 2 salles de thé dans son temple, Shoko-ten et Horai. La salle de thé Shoko-ten ne fait que 2 tatami de surface et tous les ustensiles sont donc stockés dans une pièce de 3 tatami juste à côté.

Pour arriver jusqu'au temple depuis la route, il faut emprunter un petit chemin pavé. Après un premier virage à 90°, on passe sous une imposante porte en bois. Et là c'est comme si vous veniez d'entrer dans une autre dimension. Le sol de chaque côté du chemin est couvert
de mousse et l'allée est bordée d'érables et de bambous. Quelques pierres grises, dont la disposition n'a pas été laissée au hasard, vous rappellent que vous venez de pénétrer dans un endroit ‘Zen'. Le calme et l'harmonie qui règnent ici sont juste les prémisses de ce qui vous attend à l'intérieur du temple. On atteint la petite porte en bois qui sert d'entrée au temple après un troisième virage à 90°.

J'ai eu la chance de visiter ce temple tôt le matin. Il n'y avait donc quasiment que moi et j'ai pu pleinement apprécier la quiétude et la sérénité du jardin de mousse. Ce jardin est tout simple : un rectangle de mousse avec une lanterne dans un coin et quelques érables. Les bambous se dressent en arrière-plan et dans le silence environnant je peux entendre le bruit du vent dans leurs feuilles. A l'arrière de la maison, on peut enfiler des sandales pour marcher dans le jardin (attention de ne pas marcher sur la mousse !). Au fond du jardin se trouve les tombes du couple Hosokawa ainsi que celle de Izuno no Okuni, l'inventeur du kabuki (théâtre traditionnel japonais). Le temple est plutôt petit mais décoré avec
grâce et raffinement.

Oubai-in fut construit en 1562 par Toyotomi Hideyoshi, alors gouverneur militaire de Kyoto, sous les ordres de Oda Nobunaga. Dans un premier temps, il fut construit pour servir de temple familial à la famille Oda. Mais aprés la mort du Nobunaga, il revint à Toyotomi qui construisit la porte principale ainsi que le grand hall. A la même période, le magistrat Kobayakawa fit don de la tour contenant une cloche et de la cuisine. Ça vaut le coup de le dire, car cette cuisine est maintenant la plus ancienne cuisine Zen du Japon (et on peut voir l'originale). En fait, sauf quelques bâtiments à l'entrée qui sont récents, tous les autres sont d'origines.

A l'intérieur du temple, on peut apprécier une architecture Zen raffinée et plusieurs jardins Zen. Cependant, il est interdit de prendre des photos (sauf dans le petit jardin à l'entrée). Le jardin central, Jikichu-tei, a été dessiné par le maître Sen Rikyu. C'est un jardin paysager sec recouvert de mousse. Dans lequel a été creusé une mare en forme de gourde (le légume). En effet, la forme de gourde était chère à Toyotomi qui l'avait même représenté sur son étendard.

Mon jardin favori
se trouve à l'arrière du temple. C'est un petit paysage sec. Au nord sont disposées trois pierres debout pour représenter une chute d'eau. La rivière est matérialisée par des graviers bien ratissés dont les lignes et ronds symbolisent le courant. A l'extrémité sud, se trouve une petite pierre qui représente un bateau. La rivière coule vers le bâtiment principal. Ce paysage peut représenter l'éternel cycle de réincarnation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



12th July 2014

Merci pour la visite qui a ?t? tr?s agr?able.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 17; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb