First Look at Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
July 22nd 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Narita ExpressNarita ExpressNarita Express

Waiting to get on the train to Yokohama
Geo: 35.47, 139.62

After we landed safely at Narita, found our luggage quickly, and breezed through immigration and customs, we were ready to find the train to Yokohama. I had maps of the airport and knew where to find the train station several levels below arrivals. However, we went into the Japan Rail Service Center first when we didn't need to. As soon as we walked into the service center we were greeted by a very kind young woman who asked us if we had rail passes. I told her that we did not have passes, but that we just wanted to buy one-way tickets to Yokohama so she directed us across the way to a ticket counter.

We walked over there and waited in line for only a minute before that same woman appeared again and told us that she could help us buy tickets at the machine, which had no waiting. She did ask me if we were going to pay by cash or credit card. I told her we could do either, and she definitely wanted us to pay with cash. I am not sure if the ticket machines took plastic. She asked all the right questions: Did we
Narita Express SignageNarita Express SignageNarita Express Signage

Starting to get used to the signs in Japanese.
want the next train? Did we want 1st or 2nd class? Where did we want to sit? The tickets are for specific seats so I picked some from the graphic seat map, not knowing what might be best. She said they were fine. Then she told me the price, which was equal to a little more than $50.00 each, and asked for the money. I gave her 12,000 of the yen that I had purchased at the bank before leaving home, and she bought the tickets for the Narita Express, the quickest way to get to Yokohama, and gave me back the change. I asked her to explain the tickets to us so we would know which platform, which train, which car, and which seats to find. She explained it all and pointed us in the right direction.

We grabbed all the luggage again and headed toward the platform. We had to wait about 10 minutes to board the train, and it was another 10 minutes before the train departed. While we were waiting, there was a clean-up crew going through the cars. They used only a cloth tape stretched across the door to indicate that the train was not ready for boarding. At the proper time, the tape was released, and we got on board to find our seats. We purchased 1st class tickets which were only a few dollars more than 2nd class and were rewarded with a nearly empty car. There was only one other person in it for the entire trip to Yokohama, and he got off a couple of stops before we did.

There was a place for luggage at the end of the car by the exit where we left most everything. They offered bicycle type locks with a combination that you could set yourself, but we didn't use them. I don't think we noticed that was what they were until the ride was almost over. There seemed like an extremely low chance of having anything taken anyway.

The ride was pleasant with a nice view of the countryside and city as we made our way south, first through the suburbs, then Tokyo, and then on to Yokohama. A stewardess came through selling drinks and snacks, and we were glad to be able to get a couple of bottles of water at 120 yen each--very cheap, cheaper than at home. The train ride was about an hour and a half long.

When the train stopped in Yokohama, we were ready to hop out with our luggage. Each stop was only a couple of minutes long so we knew we had to be quick. The train station is connected to a huge shopping mall that we had to traverse to get to the cab stand. Thankfully, there were signs in English along the way, and we did not have to stop to ask directions. It was really busy as we arrived in Yokohama about 4:30 p.m. Once we got to the cab stand it was interesting to see their set-up. There was an exit from the mall especially for people wanting cabs which led to a five-lane covered road. The taxis were lined up five deep and as far back as we could see. They were expecting a lot of people to need cabs. After watching one other person in front of us, we walked across to the next closest one in the front row. The driver got out to load our luggage. I told him the name of the hotel and showed him a map with the hotel highlighted and with the name of it printed both in English and Japanese. He confirmed with Philip that that was where we wanted to go. I guess I wasn't supposed to be the one asking. The cab was spotlessly clean with white lace seat covers, working seatbelts, and no smoking. It was a short 10-minute ride to the hotel. We paid in cash and received change. No tip was expected.

The doorman at the hotel first directed us to the front desk near the entry. However, when the desk clerk looked up our reservation, he sent us up, with the bellman as guide, to the 65th floor to check in. We had booked a club level room, but I had forgotten about the instructions to check in up there. The bellman left the luggage on the cart, and after we were properly checked in, another bellwoman took us to our room, brought in the luggage, showed us the features of the room, then left--again no tip required. The Royal Park Hotel occupies the top floors of the Landmark Tower which is the tallest occupied building in Japan. The view from our room is remarkable both day and night. The most noticeable feature outside the window is
Beautiful ViewBeautiful ViewBeautiful View

First view out the window of our room on the 65th floor looking east.
the Cosmo World Ferris Wheel with a clock at the center. When it was built, it was one of the world's largest Ferris wheels and the world's largest clock.

The room rate included access to the club room for drinks and hors d'oeuvres in the evening and breakfast the next morning. After taking our first opportunity to clean up and change clothes, we went to the club room. I tried two of the hotel's drinks: a Yokohama Mama and I forget the second one. Hmmm? We enjoyed a great dinner in one of the hotel's restaurants and made an early evening of it. By the time we went to bed, we had been up for about 22 hours.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Ferris WheelFerris Wheel
Ferris Wheel

Another view from our window looking a bit toward the south.


Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb