Japan and the Sakura, trying to get caught up!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
May 15th 2017
Published: May 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Japan … Osaka … Kyoto … Nara … Nakano … Tokyo



Our trip was during high tourist season at cherry blossom season (Sakura). This season was a bit of a gamble (end of March/April) – as one cannot completely predict the blossoming and the price of accommodations becomes extreme. Luckily we did see some beautiful blossoms in Kyoto, Nara, Nakano, and Tokyo.

Japan is filled with uniqueness - from its quirkiness (e.g., racoon monuments, Mario go-carts), history (e.g., palaces, temples, people wearing traditional dress), extreme efficiency (e.g., transit system), and lovely helpfulness toward tourists like us! There were many times when we were very lost and a Japanese local would walk us more than a kilometer to our destination. Wow, did not expect that!

Almost everywhere we went there were many crowds (locals and tourists), but despite crowds and busyness, still people were respectful and helpful all around. When experiencing the busiest intersection in the world in Tokyo (~2500 pedestrians every 60 second crossing), there was still a sense of calmness and lack of pressure (in our experience anyway – and we crossed it three times). When we talked to locals, we learned that many people work long hours, and the tradition of honour and respectfulness runs deep in their history. We only covered a bit of Japan, and know there are so many other areas to see; here is a slice of our travels in pictures.

Note to travelers- if traveling during high season or during a special event (Sakura) book accommodations very early (at least 6 months) helps to get a decent price. Also book early to get into special events (e.g., Owl Café). If your Japanese language is not great, expect to use a lot of visuals and arrange wi-fi to get around. Overall, it’s a very safe and friendly place to get around. In our opinion, going to Nara is a must see if you like, deer, temples and amazing landscapes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 18; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb