Sculptures and traditional breakfasts


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
November 21st 2014
Published: November 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

a traditional Japanese breakfast, not so much by choice but as a result of the buffet breakfast being booked out. We had been curious, so this was an excellent excuse to give it a go. We loved it so much we opted for this breakfast again on Friday.

These breakfasts are served in the more forThursday began with mal Japanese dining room where the groups are discetely separated from each other by blinds and screens, the setting was beautiful. Service began with hot towels, a glass of water, a pottery tumbler of tea and a a hot pot containing tofu. This stewed away as a most beautifully presented tray of varying sized bowls and dishes containing a variety of savoury and sweet foods and flavourings was placed before each of us. There was rice, miso soup, a green salad, an egg cube topped with a green chili, egg plant, some fish and a glass of fruit and yoghurt. So many elements and yet so delicate and quite filling. A stunning start to the day.

We had decided to spend the day in and around the hotel to see what was on offer. We were puzzled by the cigarette and alcohol vending machines in the childrens activity area. We chickened out on the whole mixed gender hot springs experience. Pikers ... we know. Perhaps next time.

Just as we were ready to venture out for lunch it started to rain. So just like everyone else we armed ourselves with an umbrella and set off. It rained the rest of the day.

Friday was our last full day here so after another awesome traditional breakfast we headed off down the hill to the Hakone Outdoor Sculpture Park, four train stations away but only about 1 1/2km so we walked. The park was set up to foster public interest in sculpture. Everywhere you looked there were artworks, some very large, some quite small. Some moved and were interactive while others were static. A number were designed purely for the enjoyment of children, much to the envy of the adult onlookers.

One gallery had a visiting exhibition whilst several purpose built galleries housed permanent displays. We particularly enjoyed the Picasso gallery with exhibits of many different media. A truly talented man.

Leaving the park we headed to the Gyoza House for lunch. some very good reviews on their website had made this a 'must visit' eating place. We were not disappointed.

We caught the cable car home to ensure we had a ticket for our trip out tomorrow. We leave Hakone in the morning, heading by trains, yes trains, many trains to Osaka for the wedding on the weekend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb