Sado Island Delights


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
September 15th 2013
Published: September 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After an amazing supper, and journey the day before to Sado Island, we awoke to the sound of a harvester right out our window. The quietude was not to be. As well it started at 6AM!

We did not plan our day since we had no transportation, but decided, after a Japenese style breakfast, to walk and see where it would take us. We did not have to walk far, to our surprise we discovered, all within a half kilometer, a huge Buddah shrine right above our Ryokan, as well as an old cave called Iwayasan and a Bamboo forest.

We trekked upto the Buddah shrine first and I discovered a three foot long snake. It was friendly, so I was as well, and wished the snake a big howdi do. As we looked up at the statue, we noticed the biggest bee hive I have ever seen. It was not active, thank goodness. There was a lot of small wildlife around such as lizards, butterflies, and mosquitos.

We then hiked through the bamboo forest, towards the Iwayasan cave. At the cave there were some tributes and statues of various objects like pigs and old women. It was abandoned, so we elected to stay just at the entrance. It was a pieceful place.

Since we were out in the wild, we couldn't eat lunch, so decided to head back to the Ryokan, and then head out to the Spa. We managed to get a lift 4 miles and headed into the Bath house. I and the wife were a little rusty on the bath house customs. Oops, first take off our shoes, then head into separate changing rooms. Oh ya. I have to get nude. Thank god I lost the weight around my mid drift. The old men there looked better than I did. Well its their diet. While in the spa, I noticed a little nook. Curious as to what it was, I realized it was a public toilet in the pool, slanted towards a drain, so should you have to go, you slip non chalantly over to the nook and quietly do your peepee. I did not try it.

We decided to snooze until supper because of the 40C heat. Very humid.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



17th September 2013

A tad weird, but fascinating nevertheless!
It looks a little strange and eerie to me, but, interesting, and the photos are wonderful. I enjoy the way you describe not only what you see, but the atmosphere, which lends so much depth to your accounts and the photos, so thank you for that! Particularly lovely, "Field in the Night," how talented you are! 私の弟、カメラマン!安全な旅を続けた。 Watashi no otōto, kameraman! Anzen'na tabi o tsuzuketa.

Tot: 0.558s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb