Who are you again?


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
August 2nd 2008
Published: September 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The day has arrived!

This is the day that semed like it would never come. Danilo's arrival.

In movies you see those uber-emotional reunions, tears streaming and people running towards one another and grasping each other in bone crushing hugs....


Somehow, I wasn't so optimistic about having one of those...

Staying up until 3am probably had something to do with it. Who can be bothered running, or even moving for that matter, after 2 hours of sleep and a one hour train ride while hungover?

Sad to say, but we were not under ideal conditions for an emotional reunion. Danilo hadn't slept in about 2 days, I found out later, yet it does irk me that our meeting was not more upbeat and/or romantic.

This is a new situation for the both of us, as we have never been apart for this long (aside from that time we broke up and barely saw each other for 4 years, but that's a whole other story). In the last 3 and a half years, there hasn't been more than a 10 day period of time where we didn't see each other. We went from 10 days (max) apart to 4 months!.

I guess it's understandable that we didn't lose ourselves when we saw each other once again, what with those unquashed doubts floating around 'What if i've changed?, what if s/he's changed? long distance relationships rarely work out' but at the same time it felt....wrong.

There was no running towards eachother, arms outstretched, heart thumping, tears streaming kind of behaviour, burt more some timid smiling, heart blobbing, chaste kissing, brief hugging awkward silence kind of action.

Probably about the least romantic reunion in the history of reunions. *sigh*

Looking back on it now, I can see what happened - ah hindsight, yet another way to blame yourself for (not) doing something you should(n't) have - besides the no sleep and too much biiru.

I have been here alone for 4 months, and have learnt how to live alone, relyed on myself to get food, cook food, eat food (though I had no problems with that in the past), and generally lead an independent existence. I don't have my friends and family to bable to on a whim, or any loved ones here to hug and kiss when/if the going gets tough or if i feel lonely. Talking over the internet, webcam or no webcam, just isn't the same.

By doing all of these things, I created a 'Miss Independent' persona, that capable always smiling woman who needs no-one. Suffice it to say, there was a transition period where 'Loving Boyfriend' came face to face with 'Miss Independent' on a number of occasions, and only through some earnest communication, was the wall able to come down, and 'Loving Girlfriend' was revealed in all her glory.

I'm trying to infuse 'Miss Independent' with some 'Loving Girlfriend' so the next reunion is less painful in that awkward what do i say? what do I do? manner and more Yaaaaaaaaaaay! I love you! I missed you!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!....more carefree and unrestrained.

We got the Haruka express in Kyoto, stopped for some Kaitenzushi (sushi train), caught 3 more trains home, and then the story just begins...




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The Beard GameThe Beard Game
The Beard Game

He had this 'fun' idea to shave off most of his beard and see how long it took me to notice. Me being me, it took a looong time. He then played the same trick by shaving all but a mo' and a soul patch, which I was also oblivious to.


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb