Rose and Ron Krumpos in Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
February 10th 2022
Published: February 10th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Japan

Japanese waiters dressed as Cossacks at Volga in Tokyo
The first time in Tokyo together we stayed at the landmark Imperial Hotel, in separate rooms! On our honeymoon, we ate Russian food at Volga - near Tokyo Tower - where Japanese waiters dressed as Cossacks. Rose had the musician play the theme song from "Doctor Zhivago" on the balalaika. Western dining was much more expensive than in the U.S. We attended a variety show at a theater in the Ginza: from Noh and Kabuki to modern music. Rose flew to Tokyo for six years for Northwest Airlines and Ron made seven trips, but only two together. Rose visited 18 cities in Japan and Ron 12.

On the first trip, after our engagement, Ron just finished escorting a tour and Rose was on a layover from Seattle. He planned for her to stay in his room at the Imperial, but the night manager would not allow it. She was housed in the old Frank Lloyd Wright wing, about two blocks from Ron. We mostly used the subway (except during rush hour). Taxis were expensive and their drivers often got lost; we gave them a map in Japanese. When Rose lived near Tokyo as a child (ages 5-8) the city was in ruins. She returned to a modern metropolis with NWA.

Kneeling at Ryotei Hashimoto, a traditional restaurant in Nagasaki
During our honeymoon Japan Travel Bureau gave us cars and drivers to tour Kyushu...Japan's Southern island. We visited Kumamoto, Rose's father's parents' home town, and were hosted by the classic Unzen Kanko, a Swiss chalet-style hotel in the hills of a national park. On an excursion to Nagasaki we dined at Ryotei Hashimoto, a traditional restaurant with 12 inch high tables. Ron had to kneel when eating with tour groups, but it was too uncomfortable for Rose.

We flew to Fukuoka and used Japan's excellent railways; cars met us in each city. Rose's grandfather came to the U.S. in the 1890's. Her father was born in Seattle, went to college in Japan and worked for Mitsui in Manchuria...where Rose was born. The server in our private room at Hashimoto wore a kimono. She chided Rose for being Japanese and not being able to kneel properly, especially since her gaijin husband could. Rose told her she was an American, not used to sitting that way and it hurt...nine years walking in a pressurized cabin took its toll.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb