Zombie Sushi


Advertisement
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
September 30th 2016
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.6314, 139.773The alarm rang at the ungodly hour of 4:15 AM, stirring us from the most superficial of slumbers, the kind of mediocre sleep you often get stuck with after a long travel day across more than a dozen time zones. It leaves you exhausted, as it simply isn't possible to have a proper rest under these circumstances. Dazed and confused, something just didn't seem right, as... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Better ...Better ...
Better ...

... it doesn't say much, but the banana brûlée pancakes were better than the tiramisu. The banana was quite tasty, though the brûlée didn't really stick to the banana - it was almost like they prepared a sheet of caramelized sugar separately and just placed it on top. They were still a far cry from the ones we had years ago at Very Fancy, in Osaka, both in taste and presentation.
For Reference ...For Reference ...
For Reference ...

... these were the pancakes we had at Very Fancy in Osaka.
Oops ...Oops ...
Oops ...

... for dinner, we ordered a bowl of udon and a bowl of Hiyamugi, which is supposed to be a special type of noodle - unfortunately, both bowls tasted exactly the same, leading us to believe that a mistake had been made. Decent, but I always find udon a tad plain when compared to its sexier cousin, ramen.
Late Night Snack ...Late Night Snack ...
Late Night Snack ...

... while today was largely a day of disappointments, leave it to the venerable gyoza to salvage the evening - while far from the best gyoza you'll find in Japan, they were still pretty awesome by almost any other standard. This was eaten at a late-night diner that appeared to be part of a large chain, so it was possible that these were frozen gyoza - still damn tasty, however!
Tsukiji Sushiko ...Tsukiji Sushiko ...
Tsukiji Sushiko ...

... a fairly large chain of sushi restaurants in Tokyo, this branch in Shimbashi caught our eye last night, with a slick, modern interior, and a healthy amount of locals chowing down - these first few pieces were pretty decent, and a huge upgrade from the conveyor belt place from the other night.
Shockingly Bad ...Shockingly Bad ...
Shockingly Bad ...

... things nosedived after the first few promising pieces at Tsukiji Sushiko, with these pieces of fatty tuna - the seared one wasn't bad, but the other ones looked more like chunks of raw pork! And they were so sinewy that it was difficult to properly chew - we were quite surprised that they even would even serve such low-quality Tuna.



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb