An action packed week in Tokyo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
May 31st 2012
Published: June 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We loved our time in Tokyo 😊

After recovering from an attempt to sleep at the airport we headed out onto the streets of Tokyo. Our aim: to experience Japanese culture. We were not too fussed about buildings and museums but hunted out pastime activites and food! Please take a look at our photos below. Highlights included: a sumo practice, Origami, Ikebana (flower arranging), Teiko drumming and Go. We also enjoyed some parks, a kite museum, a photography exhibition, the odd temple and the Edo-Tokyo museum.

We have found the Japanese to be really friendly. People stop in the street and asked if we need help and shop workers are enthusiatic and polite. Generally, very few people speak English but they smile anyway! Another positive experience of the culture has been the kind gestures of gifts we have recieved from people we don't know. So far we have recieved: pieces of origami from two ladies, a bag of sweets from a waitress, a rice cookie from a receptionist, a clip on cat from a lady at a drumming class and an umbrella from a random old man in the street when we were caught out by a shower!

We can definitely recommend K's House to stay, super clean and helpful staff.

We were pleasantly suprised to see many bicycles being used for everyday life. The streets are wide, well surfaced and, with the exception of the odd street, traffic was remarkably quiet. We found the subway service soo quick and frequent, our only frustration was trying to get out of a station at the correct exit.

We recieved free guides at the Imperial Palace grounds (the actual sights were a bit disappointing), Tsukiji Fish market (recommend get there for 5.30am!) and it was free to go up the Metropolitan tower and the Tokyo Stock Exchange!

Next we're off to see the Japanese countryside, starting with Mt Fuji (fingers crossed we get a glimpse) then the Alps.


Additional photos below
Photos: 77, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

George having a go!George having a go!
George having a go!

One person plays a bass rhythm and the other improvises over it.
School kids on a day trip to the  templeSchool kids on a day trip to the  temple
School kids on a day trip to the temple

Seen many school groups on outings, mostly shopping!


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb