Electric Street and the Tokyo Tower


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
May 30th 2006
Published: June 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was a bit more of a chilled out day and with no guide to show us the way this time, we jumped on the train and headed for Electric Street. This is another vibrant, busy quarter of Tokyo where the people crowd the streets, touts invite you into the many, many pachinko parlours and you gaze in awe at the sheer number of neon signs that you can't understand. We mooched around various shops, trying not to buy anything as we don't have the budget for it and, more importantly, don't have any room in our packs!

Once of the highlights of ambling around Electric Street was coming across a shop called Airs, a DVD shop speiclaising in concert recordings which apparently is famous enough to have been visited by countless rock stars such as Beastie Boys, James Hetfield (Metallica) and Blink 182. The guys in the shop were very friendly and got really excited when we asked about Electric Eel Shock, a Japanese rock band we saw twice in England recently. They had never had anyone ask about them so we felt very cool.

Later on, we decided to check out the Tokyo Tower which is an orange version of the world famous Eiffel Tower in Paris. According to all the statistics, Tokyo Tower is bigger and the views from the observatory were certainly very impressive. there was also a bhit on the second floor which was transparent. Glynn braved standing on it like a shot but I just couldn't bring myself to look down...

Tomorrow we are going to venture out of the city for a place called Hakone. We get to travel on the famous bullet train so we're dead excited already :-)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb