Old Japan, New Experience


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
December 21st 2008
Published: January 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, 21st December 2008



I was wide awake at 3.10am this morning to be on time at Changi Airport to catch my North West flight to Tokyo at 6am. Japan was a relatively familiar territory for me having done that a year ago. Yet, this trip was beset with uncertainty because we were not sure if it was easy to explore the wild north of Hokkaido by rail or whether our bodies could withstand the harsh wintry winds from Siberia. Fortunately, transport links across Japan were developed and we have packed enough clothing for this trip to keep ourselves warm. And thanks to our Japan Rail Pass, it was relatively fuss free and inexpensive to travel to Hokkaido from Tokyo.


Service standards had improved for North West Airline compared to the same flight we took a year ago. There were some smiles from the flight attendants and meal service was relatively prompt even though my hash brown and eggs were generally tasteless. It was a smooth 7 hour flight to Narita Airport with no delays. Our flight landed safely 30 minutes ahead of schedule at 1.30pm where we met our Japanese friends, R and Y at Narita Airport.


After a hearty ramen dinner, we managed to comb through Roppongi Hills, a massive office cum retail complex in the evening. Admittance to the observatory which they termed “The Tokyo City View” comes with a price ~ a whopping 1,500 yen (SGD 24.50) penalty! We felt bad that R and Y have to play the hosts and bear the hefty cost to the expensive observatory. From the top, it was certainly windy as the strong, icy winds greeted us. The view of Tokyo was nice but the same could not be said for the cost of admission.


We stayed in Tokyo for our first 2 nights in Somerset Roppongi. Our spacious room commanded a great view of the city skyline overlooking Tokyo Tower. Continental breakfast was served in the morning with simple toast, cereals and coffee. Since no meal vouchers were issued, I guess any Tom, Dick and Harry who was hungry in the morning could simply show up and help themselves to the free breakfast.


For a completely FREE city view experience in Tokyo:-

Check out the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku
TMG Office ~ a 10 minutes walk from JR Shinjuku Station West Exit.

All other observatories in the city (The Tokyo City View, The Tokyo Tower and Sunshine 60) charges an admission fee of between 600 - 1,500 yen.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



16th January 2009

:)
I want to go Japan too!

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb