Pit stop in Tokyo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
July 26th 2008
Published: July 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So the thing about being on vacation for an extended period of time like this is that the days tend to run together and you lose track of what day it is! I believe that our last entry was made yesterday while we were still in Shinjuku (a district of Tokyo). We are in Asakusa again today, leaving for Nikko.

Backtrack to a few days ago...we parted ways with my family once my dad and brother arrived here in Japan. Before going to the airport to pick them up we stopped at a little manjoo shop (manjoo is like a little cake that usually has sweet bean filling, but this shop is special in that they have like 15 different flavors such as chestnut, chocolate, cream, etc.). These little cakes aren't so little either and Robert loved them so much he had three!

Since we hadn't booked rooms in advance for this week, we have been scrambling to find places to stay at a decent price. The place we stayed at in Shinjuku was pretty bad for the price ($40/piece) plus $1 for a 10 minute shower. All they had were the dorm rooms available, which resembled human cubbyholes - definitely not for the claustrophobic. And the staff there were useless when it came to speaking Japanese or English! ??? I don't know what the hell to speak to them.

anyways, after that less-than-satisfactory night, we got a room in a business hotel, which is rather nice with a TV, private bath and a big air conditioner! Last night we decided to head for Roppongi which is purportedly where all the expatriates and foreigners hang out...it was a very strange sight to see every ethnicity imaginable milling about the streets in the middle of Japan. There was even an Outback steakhouse and a Golden Spoon there!

Our next entry probably wont be until the day after tomorrow or so....the place in Nikko is a lodge run by two Buddhist monks in the forest so I have a feeling we wont have internet there! After that we're heading to Osaka for two days and then back to Tokyo because our railpass expires. Thanks for reading our blog!

-Amanda and Robert


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb