Tokyo Drifting


Advertisement
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Yanaka
June 20th 2009
Published: July 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tokyo I was excited about heading off to Tokyo, to see a futuristic metropolis, possibly a glimpse of what's to come. However, it also gave me the opportunity to ride the legendary Shinkansen bullet train for the first time. As expected it was comfortable, clean, on time and reasonably fast. There's so little noise and the fact its very smooth makes it hard to get a sense of how fast you're actua... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 89, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Tsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish Market
Tsukiji Fish Market

The market handles more than 400 different types of seafood from tiny sardines to 300kg tuna, from cheap seaweed to the most expensive caviar.
Tsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish Market
Tsukiji Fish Market

Overall, more than 700,000 metric tons of seafood are handled every year at the three seafood markets in Tokyo, with a total value in excess of 600 billion yen (approximately 5.5 billion US dollars)
Tsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish Market
Tsukiji Fish Market

The number of registered employees varies from 60,000 to 65,000, including wholesalers, accountants, auctioneers, company officials, and distributors.
Tsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish Market
Tsukiji Fish Market

Inspectors from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government supervise activities in the market to enforce the Food Hygiene Law.
Tsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish Market
Tsukiji Fish Market

You can see here the many boxes all full with different seafood.
Tsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish Market
Tsukiji Fish Market

The market handles more than 400 different types of seafood from tiny sardines to 300kg tuna, from cheap seaweed to the most expensive caviar.
Tsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish Market
Tsukiji Fish Market

Whatever you want is here to be bought as far as sea food goes.
Tuna ChunksTuna Chunks
Tuna Chunks

The red colouring comes from tuna's muscle tissue's containing greater quantities of myoglobin, an oxygen-binding molecule.
Oroshi hochoOroshi hocho
Oroshi hocho

The oroshi hocho is a longer knife with a blade length of 150 cm in addition to a 30 cm handle. It can fillet a tuna in a single cut. The flexible blade is curved to the shape of the spine to minimize the amount of meat remaining on the tuna chassis.
Live OctopusLive Octopus
Live Octopus

No escape for these little fellas.
Yellowfin TunaYellowfin Tuna
Yellowfin Tuna

Commercial fisheries catch yellowfin tuna with encircling nets (purse seines) and with longlines. The fish are mainly sold in frozen or canned form, but are also popular as sashimi.
Tsukiji Fish MarketTsukiji Fish Market
Tsukiji Fish Market

The market is most busy between 5:30 and 8:00 a.m., and the activity declines significantly afterward.
Fish BoxesFish Boxes
Fish Boxes

Piles and piles of these polystyrene boxes surround the market place.



19th April 2010

tokyo drifting
came across your very informative documention and picturesque presentation of this trip, what an interesting report. We are planning on trip soon but after visualizing thru your presentation, almost feel like I have been there. I gather you were mostly in the city and not in the countryside. We are interested in travelling on the bullet train and seeing the countryside also. So, would you say that it was an expensive trip, moderately expensive or one could get by on a decent budget. I guess you were not into shopping either. I was interested in the Electric Town but acording to your report, stuff that you can get anywhere else but the price was my interest compared to the US price. Good job! enjoyable. Thanks a lot!

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 27; qc: 109; dbt: 0.133s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb