Bright lights, Big City and a knackered Caps lock key


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Ueno
May 28th 2006
Published: May 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It's been a long time coming but we finally made it! our journey started at 7am Saturday in Birmingham and we arrived 3pm sunday (local time). how's that for an epic first leg?

the flight was pretty good and the British Airways staff were superb. We got bumped up twice on our seat reservations and both ended up with extra legroom. there was a lady with a baby due to be sat next to us but as the flight wasn't full, the stewardess moved her back a few rows where she would have more room and we ended up with 3 seats all to ourselves! Aside from the poor selection of movies on board (I think they were aimed at people a lot posher than us), it was just about the most comfotable flight I've ever been on. Sorry Virgin Airlines, you've lost your crown...

Once we landed and made it through passport control (it seems passport controllers don't like to smile anywhere in the world), we received so much help from the very friendly people here and found our way easily. All you have to do is stand on a street corner with a giant rucksack and a map, looking all confused and soon enough people will attempt to point you in the right direction with the most brilliant broken english you've ever heard. We love Japan already!!

We're staying in the Oak Hotel in Asakusa district which we found on hostelworld.com. It's a teeny tiny place with teeny tiny rooms and truly the tiniest bathroom I've ever seen. It's actually no bad thing at all - the room is very pleasant and the bed comfy enough to made me doze off the minute my head hit the pillow.

After a short nap, during which time Glynn ventured out and went nuts in the local 99 Yen shop, we headed out and let our stomachs guide us. There is no end of little eateries in the area - the only hrad part was trying to work out if anything was remotely vegetarian. lots of restaurants have plastic models outside of the dishes they serve but when you don't recognise the ingredients, you're a bit stuck. As luck would have itn we came across a cheap and cheerful diner with a lovely waitress who spoke enough English to understand what we were after. Glynn got himself a huge plate of fried noogles with vegetables and I opted for a giant omlette served on boiled rice with an unidentified orange sauce. Whatever was in it though was just delicious and we were impressed with the 1400 Yen price tag.

Well, it's getting late here now and considering how little we've slept I'm amazed I still have the energy to write. I'm hoping to uplaod some photos but it's my first atempt so forgive me if it goes a bit pear-shaped.

Tomorrow, we have our guided tour of Tokyo with a native who volunteers as a guide on her days off. we're apparently her first punters - poor lady doesn't know what she's in for!! Sorry about the dodgy punctuation but the shift key is pretty shagged on the hotel keyboard. Just glad that the keyboard isn't all in Japanese script!

Advertisement



29th May 2006

Watch out Wickers World!!!!
Hi Guys, Just thought I'd write you a message from old blighty!!!! Sounds like your trip has kicked of to the perfect start... and i do like the blogs. I'm so happy that you've managed to set off - it seems such a long wait, and then it happened so quickly, I didn't manage to speak to you to wish you well on your epic adventure!!!! Things this side of the globe are much the same (as i guess you'd expect)... back on the quest for a job with loads of interviews... still decorating the house... and still trying to get that little bit fitter (just joined the gym down the road) You take it easy, and i'll keep my eyes open for your next installment - it has more tnesion than a neighbours cliff hanger!!!! Lots of love to you both, Steve
1st June 2006

Good one!
Glad you've finally managed to set off!!! God I'm jealous sat here on the computer at work in grey ol' Nottingham. Hope you have a great time!!!! lots of love

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb