The Inaugural Meeting of the Planning in Pants Committee


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Ueno
June 29th 2007
Published: June 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Greenwich Olympics...Greenwich Olympics...Greenwich Olympics...

...circa C7th. Pictured here, the piggy back race
We'd been putting it off too long, so all sightseeing ground to a halt this afternoon and evening as we finally itinerized Japan, and promptly decided we needed at least another week. This is prompted partly by Bro's continuing hinting that he's joining us Down Under 12 days after we're due to arrive, and partly by an attempt to catch the biggest Festival of the year in Kyoto. Whether every flight is packed for that reason, as seems likely, remains to be seen.

The a.m. was absorbed by a pleasent walk through Ueno Park and down into Yanaka, punctuated by a visit to the Tokyo National Museum, from which Stace abstained to people watch and read the accursed Lonely Planet.

Some splendidly fierce samurai sculptures, ancient swords, intricate calligraphy, kabuki theatre drag costume kimonos - all the boxes ticked. The star of the show was the new Horiyuji Homotsakan Building, a fabulously airy piece of modern architecture which contrasts magnificently with the C7th artefacts contained therein. One darkened hall featured perfectly spaced glass cases containing wonderous religious sculptures - the juxtaposition of fabulously contemporary space with the centuries old, dimly lit figures was breathtaking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

No photography was allowed in this museumNo photography was allowed in this museum
No photography was allowed in this museum

as you can see from this photo of a C13th samurai sword


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb