Fading Into Jet Lag Land....


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Tachikawa
October 19th 2011
Published: October 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Olympic MountainsOlympic MountainsOlympic Mountains

Leaving Seattle
We arrived here yesterday around 3:30pm, after a long flight (10.75 hours...) and some sleep, movies, drinks and meals. Matt met us at the airport and kindly drove us back through Tokyo rush hour traffic (3 hours of freeway driving...one way!) to his new apartment.

We spent some time talking with Justin (Matt's 13 year old son) who had run a 10 mile race that afternoon and is now shockingly almost taller than me. We then attempted to unpack, wandered dazed around the apartment a bit, and collasped into bed around 9:00pm...only to awake around 4:00am this morning.

After delicious homemade breakfast burritos (thank you, Matt), we walked to the airforce base, got our day passes, and went to the outdoor activities building where Matt works repairing bikes and managing the rental store. After trying one of new the rental bikes he just got in, I am now wanting a new bike.....

We spent the rest of the day doing errands on the base, getting info to plan our trips outside of Tokyo, having lunch with Wendy, Matt's girlfriend, and walking around Matt's neighborhood, including a trip to the beloved 100 yen store (which is now sadly longer a dollar store..but a a $1.30 store). It's been a gray, cool day, but that has not dimmed the fun of being back in Japan!

Tomorrow Matt is working, and Bill and I will take the train into Tokyo to people watch. Friday we will drive to Nagano with Matt, returning on Saturday. I think I'm heading for bed now....at 5:00pm


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Matt's living roomMatt's living room
Matt's living room

One of his four bikes....
Matt's kitchenMatt's kitchen
Matt's kitchen

The room sizes are still measured in tatami mat terms...he has two same sized rooms, a kitchen and a smaller room, along with a bathroom/laundry room.
Matt and BillMatt and Bill
Matt and Bill

They are in front of one of the many small vegetable gardens in the neighborhood.
warehousewarehouse
warehouse

The shop is on base and organizes trips: climbing Mt Fuji, kayaking, biking in the mountains....along with renting and selling equipment.
Matt's buildingMatt's building
Matt's building

He's on the 4th floor.


19th October 2011

Lynn - I love hearing where you are and what is happening in your life! Adventures continue! marian
19th October 2011

Jet Lag
You didn't mention how long you were going to be in Japan....I hope long enough to recover from your jet lag. East to West is always the worst for us. Ten hours plus three hours driving....yikes!
21st October 2011

Fading into Jet Lag Land
Loved the blogs ND THE PICTURES. sO GOOD TO SEE FAMILY. mATT IS A "BIG BOY"

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb