こんばんは from Japan!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shinjuku
December 30th 2016
Published: December 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

We landed safely a couple of days ago after surviving a 9 and a half hour flight and each other's puns.

Upon reaching Narita airport we found sustenance in some gyoza and noodles. It occurred to me as I swallowed my delicious, but fishy soup that being vegetarian in Japan was going to be a painstaking task.

We took the bullet train into Shinjuku, Tokyo. The trains are beautifully clean, comfortable and efficient. The insides feel like the business class on an aeroplane. Possibly because of the unspoken rule: no speaking.

We had some time to kill before checking into our hotel, so we decided to check off the number one thing to do in Japan- eat sushi. We found a quaint sushi bar where the chef prepared the sushi at the bar. The menu proclaimed his items were 'as seen on TV'. We took his word for it. Well was it worth it. Best. Sushi. Ever. Washed down with some pretty potent sake.

That night, we experieneced the mind-blowing, all dancing, all fighting robots of the robot restaurant. The lights were hypnotic, if not migraine-inducing. It is hard to explain exactly what we saw, so you will just have to go and see it for yourselves.

On the way back to the hotel, we wandered down the alleys of the shanty town 'Golden Gai'. The town is comprised of a number of tiny houses that survive as bars. Each bar can only fit about 5-8 people per session. We wandered upstairs into a small room to a bar promising food. Naturally we ran into a couple of Irish gents who tipped us off about places to visit. Perhaps our next adventure..?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1002s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb