No rest for the weary despite only walking nine miles round Ueno and Shibuya in Tokyo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Shibuya
September 30th 2016
Published: September 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

No rest for the weary despite only walking nine miles round Ueno and Shibuya in Tokyo



We both admitted today that we are a tad knackered. With almost two weeks of amazing things done, seen and experienced we have hardly stopped to rest and recuperate. I think we've walked over 8 miles every day, which, considering we've taken loads of public transport is quite a lot. Maybe next time we'll factor in a day's rest somewhere....okay maybe half a day.....an hour at least.....maybe....



So, last day, worn out....and we have lots to do of course! I reckon we could come back to Japan many more times and see all new things and not be bored. And probably not have a rest either...



First stop today was the Tokyo Skytree tower as the weather was better than when we planned to go there yesterday. There are two levels and you go up to the first one before deciding if you want to go to the next one. As the first level is at 350m it's still pretty high and has huge, clean windows for you to look and photograph out of. The next level involves taking another lift up to 450m and you also get the chance to stand on a glass floor and look down. The second lift has a glass door so you can catch glimpses of the outside world as you ascend and descend as well as a part glass ceiling so you can look up as well.



It's about £16 to go to the first bit and £8 to do the extra. Is it worth it? I dunno but we did it anyway so at least we can say we did and the view was amazing from both levels. Tokyo is MASSIVE in width as well as height and it's well worth seeing it from height. Next time we'll do the ascent at night.



And back on the train and back to Ueno park and to the Shitimachi museum. We didn't go in though as it was closed. No explanation, it's supposed to be open Tues-Sat and it's Friday but the sign said closed today. No, thanks for travelling so far and sorry for the inconvenience, just, closed.



We decided to visit one of the other museums in the park and headed for the Tokyo National Museum. We had thought of visiting Ueno zoo today as it's only £4.50 to get in and they have pandas and polar bears but, after reading about the small enclosures, we decided we didn't want to support poor animal care. The national museum is only £4.50 to get in too and has a number of halls which apparently may take you more than a day.



Upon book advisement we headed for the highlights hall where generations of Japanese history are chronologically laid out. And a Wedgwood vase to remind us of home. It was interesting but we really were flagging by now and decided to give the art section on the second floor a miss.



We headed for a nearby cafe and had some disappointing food-first time in Japan I think! At least we had a rest though as we planned our next move. This was back to the station and the long train journey to Shibuya.



We took the Hachiko exit and took a picture of the statue of Hachiko. What, never heard of it? It's a dog that used to come and meet its master at the station every day. After his master died it still kept coming for another 10 years until it too passed away. There's a movie about it apparently. I'm not sure which way it came and whether it used the crossing detailed below. I guess I'll have to watch the film to find out.



Shibuya is another hipster part of town with lots of neon, lots of video screens and lots of locals with different coloured hair, mainly blond. Again it's a visual and aural feast and just wandering is fascinating. We visited a store called Tokyu Hands which had numerous levels and floors full of all sorts of everything and nothing. I bought a bento box and some sushi moulds so it was definitely a worthwhile visit.



We couldn't find the next place we looked for so we took some pictures and did some filming at the world's busiest pedestrian crossing. You've probably see it on the telly or on videos on Youtube. It's the one where people go diagonally as well as across the four adjoinging roads. Up to 1000 people can cross at any one time and they have to put up with gonkhead tourists stopping in the middle to take pictures and be gonkheads. Apart from the gonkheads it's amazing how smoothly it all goes as people head towards each other from varous directions.



Next stop...sushi!! I'd read about Genki Sushi and we were determined to fnd it. It took a bit of time but we managed it in the end and we were glad we did. Sushi started at about 90p a plate with some things dearer of course but you could eat really cheaply here especially as tea and iced water are free. I tried a number of special things as well as a hamburger with cheese sushi....which was bizarre but nice. With all manner of things tried and all freshly made, oh and a drink, my bill came to just £15. And I was podged.



There wasn't a typical revolving sushi belt, rather you ordered your food from your own screen and it was delivered on one of three conveyors. You took your food off and the serving tray whisked its way back to the kitchen. Amazing and, as I said, all freshly made. Oh and you were only allowed to stay for 45 minutes! I wonder if they would kick you out if you were still ordering? There was a waiting list to get in when we left so the time limit wasn't putting peole off.



After more gawping at Shibuya and more filming (but not stopping in the middle) of the busy crossroads we headed for home. The train was exceptionally busy but still shy of requiring the people employed to physically push people onto the trains to be called into action. After a while we managed to get a seat and thank goodness as it was a lot of stops.



We crawled into our hotel at 19:27. I know, dirty stopouts right but we decided that sitting in our room writing blogs and stuff was our rest for this holiday. Oh and we should probably pack as well....and I had to check-in for our flight for tomorrow....



I think I need a holiday to get over this one but not one of OUR holidays. It's been amazing, incredible and wonderful and the best of times. But the summary is to come tomorrow......or probably Sunday after we get home. Be patient like a Japanese person at a pedestrian crossing when there is no traffic in sight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb