Kyoto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Minato
August 1st 2010
Published: August 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We're sorry we couldn’t get to you (more on that later), so we're giving you the whole of our time in Kyoto in one big blog entry. Yesterday, but there was no internet connection in the Ryokan. No photos today either as not enough time to load them. We'll put them up tomorrow.

We went to Tokyo Station and took the Shinkansen (the bullet train) to Kyoto covering 500 kilometres in two and a quarter hours. We wanted to see Mount Fuji from the train, but thick fog meant we couldn’t see anything. Just before I tell you anything else I just want to say the bullet train is incredibly fast (and cool). We checked into our Ryokan (a traditional Japanese guest house-google it) and then we went to have some noodles for lunch. Compared to technologically advanced Tokyo, travelling to Kyoto is like going back in time (I’m not saying that’s a bad thing though, because going to Tokyo is like going forward in time). After that we walked to Kiyomizudera Temple, an amazing site originally built in 798, all of the original buildings were replaced by 17th century improvements. It was an amazing place. Back at the Ryokan we had a 12 course Kyoto style Japanese meal. Put simply it was adventurous, but not very nice. The menu included roast eel, octopus’s tentacles and a whole small fish, bones and all. We slept on futons rolled out on the tatami mats that covered the floor. It was surprisingly comfy.

The next day (today) we headed out for Chion-In Temple. By accident we stopped off at Chorakuji Temple, thinking it was Chion-In. We only realised our mistake after half an hour, when we saw a bell that was supposed to be 2.7 metres in diameter was smaller than Honor. When we actually got to Chion-In it was pretty cool, Mostly because everything there was stupidly large. After that we had lunch at an Italian Restaurant, because we were all feeling ill after last night’s Japanese dinner. Then we went to Nijo castle. This massive castle (set of palaces would suit it better) has incredibly thick outer walls, but if it was attacked, it wouldn’t stand a chance, due to everything within being made of either paper or wood. I ran a small test on the castle and found it was entirely un-ninja proof. We then went to Bic Camera, an awesome electronics shop, which was actually better than the whole of Akihabara. Good Fun. Kyoto is a much better tourist destination than Tokyo and was much more enjoyable to stay in, although the sound of the cicadas can seriously drive you mad. Then we got on the bullet train to Tokyo, where I am now, writing this. Harry and Thomas, travelling at 260kph, out.


Advertisement



1st August 2010

Knees please
How are your knees after all this eating meals with your legs crossed? Actually it is important to get used to this when young, as the tendons will not stretch when you are grown up. It is the same with squatting. When Europeans squat they balance on their toes. But Asians squat with their whole foot on the ground. Again, you cannot train yourself to do this late in life because the tendons will not stretch. And how are you with chopsticks? It is very important not to lose face by dropping something. We expect a demonstration when you get home. Luv, Henry
1st August 2010

EYES IN THE WEST ARE WATCHING YOU.
DID YOU GET GRANNY'S COMMENT? When you get tired of jellyfish take a bag of donuts onto the bullet train, look out of the window and enjoy the ride. Probably you'll be in Kyoto before you've eaten the last one. Uncle Blog
1st August 2010

Granny's second comment
I AMVERY JEALOUS OF YOU TRAVELING ON THE BULLET TRAIN. CAN YOU FIND ANY ENGLISH FOOD TO EAT? BATH BUN OR FISH AND CHIPS? I EXPECT THEY HAVE DELICIOUS ICE=CREAMS. I have always wanted to see Mount Fiji too How high is it? IS HONOR ENJOYING HERSELF? Love Granny Zuma
2nd August 2010

I am a chopstick King!!
I am quite good at using chopsticks but I won't show you. Ha. Harry.
2nd August 2010

Granny Zuma's answers.
There is no english food because english food is just potatoes and pies. And no, they don't have delicious ice creams, they just have fish. We didn't get to see mount Fiji and yes, Honor is enjoying herself (apart from when she gets tired).

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb