Day 155: Bol Bol


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Koenji
August 29th 2008
Published: August 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ben Stiller?Ben Stiller?Ben Stiller?

No! It's the great Bol Bol san!!
Sanae and I have actually done the unbelievable in this day of Lonely Planet and Rough Guides and discovered a gem off the beaten track.

Bol Bol.

In the city of themed restaurants and crazy eating habits I'm amazed Bol Bols hasn't rated a recommendation yet. This persian themed restaurant is beautifully decorated with Iranian carpets, souveneirs and nostalga covering every inch of the walls. Your kebobs come served to you on silver swords instead of skewers, Your wine comes in red crystal glasses with the supreme leader of Iran smiling sternly at you from the side and on fridays and saturdays at 9:00pm a belly dancer leaps out of the bathroom and into the middle of the restaurant to shimmy in everyones face and smile at you seductively.

There was only a smattering of people there, three Iranians puffing away on a shisha pipe in the corner, a Japanese couple on a date, two old japanese ladies whispering to themselves across the table and an odd collection of language students, one of whom declared after being singled out for Belly Dancing he could now "die a happy man" but the atmosphere was amazing, after the dancing (where everyone in the restaurant was up shaking it with the belly dancer) it was like a crazy international party. People were randomly getting up from their tables to jam with strangers on the persian instruments at the front of the restaurant or to marvel at the beautiful of the shisha pipe collecton in the corner.

The owner, Bol Bol came around to everyones table to accept their praise over the dinner and talk about all things Persian, he took a shining to Sanae and I and brought over a small camel to our table and showed us photos of him training a Japanese childrens orchestra in Suginami - ku.

Sanae and I left the restaurant drunk and in high spirits raving about what a great night we'd had and how wonderful the place had been and I made a solemn vow to spread the word. To uise my blog to encourage others to venture to Koenji and disocover the magical world of Bol Bol.


Bol Bol Persian restaurant and bar
2F, 3-2-15 Koenji-Kita
Phone: 03-3223-3277
http://bolbol.jp

Advertisement



20th January 2009

Thank You!
I read your blog entry about my restaurant, and I was very happy to hear that you had a great time! Of course, please come again with Sanae-san or any other friends...I hope that you can enjoy another good night with everyone at BolBol in Koenji. Thank you, BolBol
3rd February 2009

Anytime!
BolBol, I had the best night - it was a great great time, thank you so much for your hospitality! Next time in japan, I'll come back to visit you for sure!! XD
6th February 2009

GREAT
BolBol san! It was really the best night there! Thank you so much for your kind hospitality and big smile! And I will come again with Leah when she visits Tokyo, but in the meantime, I will take other friends to enjoy sword kebobs:-)

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb