Tokyo (our return) 19 to 23 January 2016


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Ikebukuro
January 23rd 2016
Published: January 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Tokyo (our return) 19 to 23 January 2016



After a fantastic week of Skiing, we returned to Tokyo, staying at the Metropolitan Hotel once again in the area of Ikabukuru, NW of the CBD. The domestic flight was under 2 hours and bus trip from Haneda Airport was 1 hour, arriving at 5.00pm. We noticed that it had snowed in Tokyo the day before we arrived back so there were patches of snow around. While in Tokyo, the maximum temperature ranged from about 5-10 degrees with 0 degrees overnight.



We virtually dropped our bags and hopped on the JR Line to get to the Tokyo Tower. We found it no problems at all as it is brightly lit and resembles the Eiffel Tower….in fact it was designed on the Eiffel Tower but is higher at 333m high.



There were a big range of shops and restaurants at its base. We caught the lift up to the 150m observatory for a spectacular view of the big city of Tokyo. It was just after sunset so all the lights were on but there was still a glow in the sky. We wandered around the 360 degrees viewing room taking photos etc. before finding a restaurant to have dinner. We didn’t want to be too late back in our motel for Gemma’s sake as we were off to Disneyland the next day.



We woke at about 6.30 the next morning to leave by 7.30am as we wanted to be successful in getting tickets for the special Frozen performance. Unfortunately, this didn’t quite work out. Oh well!!!!



This is the 3rd Disneyland for Tom, Kerrie & I (Anaheim, Paris and now, Tokyo) and it was the 1st time for Adam and the 2nd one for Gemma. Each Disneyland has been a little different but this one was in Japanese. As there was a Frozen Theme the 1st parade we saw was of the characters from the movie. It was the 1st time we had heard the song “Let it go” sung in Japanese. I think Gemma was a little disappointed but the floats were very impressive.



We saw 3 other parades: floats of Disney cartoon characters which bought a constant smile to Gemma’s and our faces. It was lovely to watch her. The next parade after sunset was spectacular. Every float was lit up by tiny lights, many of which changed colour to the sound of the song belonging to that float. It was spectacular.



We also went on the Haunted House ride, the Star Wars Ride, Tom, Adam & I went on the Big Mountain Roller-coaster (which was great fun), and we all went on the tea cup ride. What a lot of fun. The space/Star Wars ride was a simulator where we were in the spaceship fighting the enemy. We had our 3D sunglasses on and our seats moved along with the scenes of the movie that we were watching. Wow, you wouldn’t want to suffer from motion sickness.



Tom and I also went on the Train ride through Western World as well as the boat ride through “It’s a small world” – beautiful.



Most of the rides we used the ‘Fast Pass’ method – where you register to go on the ride. You are given a ticket which tells you what time to come back to go on the ride. You then go in the priority line rather than lining up. It’s a great method.



The day was freezing. I bet the wind-chill-factor got the temperature down to 0 degrees at times. All the eating places and shops were heated so it wasn’t hard to warm up.



Adam and Gemma bought bright yellow Pooh Bear beanies so we never lost them in the crowd.



Gemma has loved being with Uncle Adam. He is so good with her. With 4 adults, it’s been very easy travelling with Gemma. And she has loved it.



We stayed for the fireworks which was seen to the side of the Cinderella Castle. We left straight after at 8.30pm. It was a big day, so much so that Gemma fell asleep in the train going back to our hotel. Mainly Adam, but with a little help from Tom, they carried her back to the hotel.



The next day we visited the Meiji Jingu Temple and gardens which was established in 1920 by the local people donating 100,000 trees in memory of Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken where they are enshrined.



At many of the Temples and shrines, Kerrie, Gemma and Adam get the name of the site written in calligraphy in Kanji (Japanese writing) as they have a special book for this purpose. Many people in Japanese collect this calligraphy as a memento of that temple or shrine. It is a beautiful idea and a real ‘keep-sake’.



After the Temple we went to Takeshita Dori Street in the district of Shibuya where all the teenagers get dressed in all sorts of weird and wonderful character and idol outfits. The shops which lined this street were full of outfits and accessories. Kerrie, Adam & Gemma all bought weird/funny/cool sunglasses and wore them down the street, getting lots of looks and smiles !!!



It was then off across to the eastern side of the CBD to visit the new Tokyo Skytree Town, a 634m broadcasting tower. It too had 2 viewing platforms (350 & 450 m) aquarium, planetarium, offices, and many shops and restaurants.



We went up to the 350m platform. As it was during the day, and we were a lot higher than in the Tokyo Tower, the view was even more spectacular. They also had a light show which reflected on all the windows. There was also a glass floor to view down to the ground – not for those who don’t like heights.!!! We all enjoyed the experience.



It was then down to the World Beer Museum for lunch (on the advice of the Cathcarts who had been there several days earlier). We started with a tray of 5 small beers. They were from the UK, USA, Belgium, Czech Republic and Germany. I always think the German beers are the best, but the Czech make a great beer also. The meal was excellent also.



Then for the next highlight of our trip - attending the Sumo Grand Tournament which Adam gave us all for Christmas. What an experience. The Grand Tournament is held 3 times a year in Tokyo. The Ryogoku Kokugikan Stadium was massive. After finding our seats, we sat in excitement.



The Sumo wrestlers are heroes in Japan. Sumo have been around for over 1500 years with origins being religious. It is now a real art-form with training starting very young. There was lots of leg raising, squatting, slapping themselves, salt throwing, and that is before they even make contact with each other. There is parading, banner displaying, bowing, false starts and a whole lot, lots more. Then contact is made and a bout could last for anything from 2 seconds to a minute. The winner is the sumo that is pushed outside the circle or throwing him in the dohyo (the 18 feet square sumo ring). Interestingly, there are no weight limits as in other wrestling or boxing.



During the Tournament, there are girls who are walking around with a beer keg on their back serving beer. Incredible. The winner of our Tournament will add that to his winning count and the Grand Champion is decided at the end of the 15-day Tournament. The sumo with more wins than losses is awarded the Emperor’s Cup on the final day. The winner is called the rikishi.



We all agreed it was a memorable experience. We went back to our hotel by train. Gosh the train systems in Tokyo are fantastic and very easy to understand once you understand the metro and JR Line Maps. We were absolutely ‘had-it’ when we got back to the hotel, we all flopped into bed. It has been a big 3 weeks.



We weren’t flying home the next day until 7.30pm, but leaving our hotel at 3.00pm so we had all morning to do some more sightseeing. Adam, Kerrie & Gemma decided to go to the Sword Museum and wander around Shinjuku which is an area Adam loves.



Tom and I visited the Tsukiji Fish Markets which were huge. We had a fish and sweetcorn oblong rissole on a stick which was yummy and a few other samples of weird and wonderful foods that were on offer.



We then popped into the Tsukiji Honganji Temple were we got 6 stamps. This was for the family competition to see who can get the most stamps in the little books Kerrie gave us. Tom & I was way behind, but by finding 6 stamps at the one Temple, we thought we might have a chance of at least catching up to the others!!!



Tom & I then walked through the extraordinary structure of the Tokyo International Forum. Wow, what a building for exhibitions, concert and other cultural events!



We then walked through the Ginza area where there was every brand-name shop you could think of. We spotted a lovely little restaurant for coffee and cake (but didn’t feel like cake) in the Ginza area.



Then it was a walk to view the Imperial Palace from the Nijubashi Bridge, and walk around the West Imperial Gardens and view monuments. The present Emperor still lives in the Palace which is only open to the public on 2 days of the year.



It was then time to go back to Ikebukuro to have lunch and wait with our bags to catch the Limousine Bus to the Narita Airport to fly home.



What an incredible time we have had. It has been so good to share all the experiences and sights with Kerrie, Adam and Gemma. Very, very special. The 3 weeks have gone so quickly. We have enjoyed the hospitality of the Japanese people, their respectfulness, their willingness to help a tourist and their humbleness. Japan is a very organised, disciplined society, with stickler for following rules. The streets are meticulously clean although we often struggled to find a bin. The WiFi was abundant, dealing with the Yen was easy ($1,00AUD = 84 Yen) and the price of food and beer was on par with Australia.



We go home with a positive impression of the country and their people and with many, many lovely memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 158, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb