Tokyo Sumo Tournament


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Chiyoda
February 10th 2014
Published: February 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Baseball and soccer are popular sports in Japan. Every high school oval rings to the sound of teams practicing, and students dream of becoming famous players. Sumo no longer holds great attraction for students. It is the sport of their grandparents. Most wrestlers are now foreigners. However, Sumo remains the traditional sport associated with Japan.

Every year, a season of Sumo is held in Japan in several rounds. The competions are broadcast on television every night for 15 days. News broadcasts include the daily highlights, advertising sponsorship supplements the prize money and the rikishi (sumo wrestlers) hold celebrity status.

Tokyo sumo competitions are held in a purpose built hall, with a suspended straw roof, and a raised sand platform. Judges and attendants wear elaborate traditional costumes, and there is symbolic meaning in all objects and actions. The tournament starts with a grand parade of the rikishi in elaborately embroidered aprons. Each match consists of ritual sweeping, chanting, salt throwing, and posturing. The actual contest is over in seconds, as one rikishi pushes the other over a rope boundary. The audience eat, drink, chat and focus intensely on those few seconds.

Our host, Ikuko San, was excited to attend her first Tokyo Sumo Competition. She recollected her grandfathers enthusiasm for it, and explained its nuances. For a casual supporter, she was well informed about the history and status of all the competitors and their current ranking. The audience was mostly older Japanese people, with a generous sprinkling of mostly British young men. For a once in a lifetime experience, I found it exciting and spectacular.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ritual ObjectsRitual Objects
Ritual Objects

Water barrel and scoop, brooms and salt basket.


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb