Azabu-juban


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Azabu-juban
October 17th 2008
Published: October 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to MotoAzabu Hills, a concrete building that wants to be a mushroom. It’s our home here in Tokyo, and its shroomy nature is actually extra padding against constant earthquakes. We like that it is so tall because it is so easy to find our way home by looking up. It presides over the cozy ex-pat area of MotoAzabu, the older section of Azabu-juban, our hamlet within Tokyo proper. It’s the only area in Tokyo so far (other than major tourist sites) where we have seen many Westerners walking around. There are a few requisite French patisseries, Italian trattorias, and one Irish pub, but largely, the neighborhood culture is still very Japanese. The small unnamed streets are lined with upscale boutiques, pachinko parlors, tea shops, and tiny restaurants. Many people bicycle everywhere. Most people do not speak much English, if any. We have been relying on our mini-Japanese phrasebook and a lot of body language. Although Tokyo is a gigantic metropolis, being in MotoAzabu feels like living in a homey, albeit busy, village.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

MotoAzabu HillsMotoAzabu Hills
MotoAzabu Hills

our little home.
Arisugawa ParkArisugawa Park
Arisugawa Park

Not too far from our happy home- frequented for jogs and sushi picnics.
Why aren't all urban buildings built like this??Why aren't all urban buildings built like this??
Why aren't all urban buildings built like this??

If you look closely, you can see the verdant grasses growing out of the sides of this building.
Baseball junkiesBaseball junkies
Baseball junkies

Apparently, the preschoolers boast curveballs that would make our American kids cry.
Tokyo suburbsTokyo suburbs
Tokyo suburbs

Roppongi Hills Tower and her underlings
Sky LoungeSky Lounge
Sky Lounge

The Tokyo skyline photo was taken here: the Sky Lounge-- a wonderful world of international newspapers, comfy chairs, and tremendous views: all on the top floor of our lovely Tokyo home.
Tokyo at nightTokyo at night
Tokyo at night

as captured in the Sky Lounge


23rd October 2008

Lovely
Hi, you two. Well, you really made it. Doesn't look like you are roughing it, so a good start. Hope the teaching is going well and that you are soaking it all in. We are thinking of you and can't wait to hear more. Great pix.
25th October 2008

cool adventure
Wow! how many souls have the chance to take such an adventure? i,m envious. your blog is looking really great. keep us informed. i'm sure you are having the time of your lives. love to you both!
27th October 2008

Hi
Glad to see you are doing well. You will have many adventures to reflect upon when you are old timers. Would love to see more scenery and photos from my decidedly less adventurous local, f you have the time to post them. Sally
1st November 2008

what a glorious stuff
looks like you are living a life of angelfood and golden-eagle feathered water beds. i simply must try it sometime, darlings.

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb