mr roboto


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Asakusa
September 10th 2013
Published: September 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast and a 7-11 coffee...

We started out our day making train reservations and then walking around Ueno park (also known by some as Bueno Park). It's a pleasant park in the heart of the city, much like central park in NYC. There are museums a zoo and street performances, just like in Central Park as well.

We wandered and found a shire and giant lotus flowers and pampas grass.

For lunch we ate at nearby Ameyokocho which has lots of places to eat and little shops under the train. The takoyaki (fried doe with squid inside) was a highlight.

In the afternoon we met up with Robyn's sister to explore the famous Senso-ji Buddhist temple in Asakusa. The front gate is famous as a "entrance to the city" symbol. Next we stood in the smoke of incense to cure our ailments. A quick purification at the fountain and then we went into the temple. We were sure to toss a coin into the offering box.

Next we got our fortunes. Shelby showed us how to shake the box, pull out a stick with a number that corresponds to a drawer containing your fortune. Robyn and I both had BAD fortunes. Not to worry! If you don't get a good fortune, you tie in on a nearby string and are done with it (I pitty the fool who has to take all of these bad fortunes off a the end of the day, that'd can't be good luck.)

Lastly we went to the famous Electronics District Akihabara and browsed the gizmos.

Dinner was splendid at a Sushi restaurant. They have boats with sushi, but then they also have a screen where you can order what you want. They send the orders on a separate boat that comes out in the middle and stops at your seat! So cool.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb