Day 3 - Akiba and Giant Robots


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Akihabara
June 24th 2009
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Short update for today, bit wiped. Day three was back to just me and Rod - Pablo and Yoshiko were wanting to hit the fish market around 5am, something neither of us were interested in. First stop was Akihabara to check out some of the smaller locale's. Some of the stores are quite interesting, very otaku-ish (otaku = geek). Lots of Computers, Electronics, and enough parts to build your own if you wanted to. Some of the shops are nothing but a small nook in the side of a building while others span 8 floors. Probably going to buy something here towards the end of week two, but don't feel like lugging anything extra around for now.

We were feelin pretty wiped out at this point so headed back to the coffee shop we were at earlier. This time they were playing Lullabys for background music. Decided to just take it easy for the rest of the day so headed back to Roppongi and checked out the massive Roppongi Hills Development complex. There's a nice theater there playing the latest Transformers Movie (Japanese subtitles). Lots of action, lots of nods to the original cartoon, I thought it was great! Better then the first. The theater wasn't anything too special, although the bit where they explain no cameras, cell phones, or loud noises setup as a video game was a nice touch. Only in Japan I tells ya. They also were selling Movie posters, toys, and other memorabilia at the theater. The theater I was at in Fukuoka a couple years back did the same thing, and I still don't understand why theater's here don't do it, would help bring in extra coin..

Anyways thats it for tonight, going to be on the Shinkansen for a couple hours so hopefully I can catch this blog up to where I am on the trip. Oh for a bonus is a picture of some brand new green Pepsi drink they just introduced here a couple days ago. It is quite possibly the most vile drink ever invented.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb