Parfume Foret and Unagi Pie


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Shizuoka
November 11th 2007
Published: November 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Takako chan and YamachanTakako chan and YamachanTakako chan and Yamachan

Using the car navigation system to find our way.
I must be the luckiest girl in the world to have met Emi Sato and her family!!!

Today, Emi's mother, Takako, planned a special little day trip for us to Hamamatsu, a city about an hour south of Shizuoka City.

We started off this morning at about 9:30 and drove across a couple of different rivers (Tenryo was the most famous one) and through heaps of green tea fields to get to our first stop, a small museum in Hamamatsu dedicated to the importance of Fragrances...kind of random but really interesting. Inside the museum we got to go into a bunch of different booths and watch a 3 D show complete with a vent which gave the history and a whiff of all kinds of different scents from lavender to wisteria to ice cream. Sense of smell is a really powerful sense and I was amazed by the different memories different smells triggered for me. At the end of our visit we went down to the perfume mixing room and entered a bunch of different information into a computer program which then computed the best scent for our body and personality. You have the choice of actually using the perfumes they have on hand to make your own perfume, Emi and I passed, but Takako went for it.

After the museum we went out for an oishi lunch of ramen and gyoza! Onaka ippai!

From the restaurant we drove for about another 40 minutes to a famous Unagi Pie Factory in Hamamatsu. In English Unagi Pie means Eel Pie. The city of Hamamatsu is famous for eel which come from Lake Hamanaka ko. It may sound kind of crazy but it's really delicious. It's a dessert and is kind of like a Palmier (french cookie--thin, flaky and wafer like with a sugar coating). At the factory we got to see the conveyor belt production of Unagi Pie--sugoi! On our way out we got some free samples and even free Omiyage (gift) Unagi Pie to take with us.

On our drive back to Shizuoka we stopped at a grocery store called Mom's and bought a bunch of ingredients for Nabe--another famous winter dish in Japan (Emi and I are cooking Nabe tomorrow with a couple of friends--I will post pictures after 😊) and then went back to Emi's house where her mother cooked us another delicious dinner, pork, salad, sato imo (special potato) and rice.








Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Takako and YamachanTakako and Yamachan
Takako and Yamachan

Our travel buddies for the day
A funny sign at a Japanese Rest StopA funny sign at a Japanese Rest Stop
A funny sign at a Japanese Rest Stop

This sign uses lights to show what toilets are occupied or unoccupied---just one of the many examples of service and information in Japan. Bikurishita!


Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0917s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb