Okinawa - A Random Vacation


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa
October 17th 2008
Published: January 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This was never on my list of things to do in Japan. A friend of mine in Kochi, Rebecca, asked me if I was interested in taking a few days off and heading there. Impulsively I agreed and it was one of the best spur of the moment decisions I’ve ever made. We booked tickets and hotel a month in advance. Got a vague idea of where we wanted to go and what we wanted to see. Grabbed our gear and headed south. Okinawa is warmer than the main Japanese islands and has a distinct tropical feeling. The air felt cozy and the airport was filled with orchids. On the monorail to our hostel we passed a big festival with a sign the said “Orion Beer Festival” so we dropped out luggage and headed straight back for the crowds and excitement. There were food stalls, fireworks and we tried Okinawan Orion Beer, which tasted cheap. On the ride back to the hostel there was a boy sitting with a box on his lap that contained orange and pink chicks. How random is that? At the hostel we met some Jets from Kyushu and went out and checked out Kokusai Doori, the main tourist street. We settled in at a quiet French café down a side street for dinner and drinks.

The second day of the vacation we decided to lay on the beach all day. We headed to Naha city’s beach rented chairs, grabbed some drinks and sunned and swam for hours. That evening we went to a fancy restaurant for dinner and a traditional Okinawan dance show. The costumes were colorful and they alternated slower and more upbeat pieces. All the movements of the dancers were graceful and we got to have our picture taken with them after the show. (I don’t think it was optional actually.)

The next day we took the morning ferry out to Zamami, one of the Kerama Islands. The Kerama Islands are supposed to be one of the best places in the world for snorkeling. All day we swam, snorkeled and lay in the shade. Snorkeling was the best part of the vacation. Swimming underwater with colorful tropical fish darting all around you and a coral forest below you was a dream like experience.

After two days at the beach Rebecca was red so we headed to Shuri-jo (Shuri Castle) on the third day. The castle is another rebuilt replica; the original was destroyed by allied forces in the Battle for Okinawa during WWII. It was built originally by the Ryukyuans Kings that ruled the islands before they were ousted by Japanese conquerors and was the center of the Ryukyu kingdom for many centuries. The building is a mixture of Japanese and Chinese influences and is more colorful and ornate than any other castle in Japan. At the castle we watched another tradition dance performance as we wandered around the large castle grounds and interior.

The last full day of the vacation the weather turned rainy and we decided to go to the Churaumi Aquarium. It is a very nice aquarium, but difficult to get to unless you have a car. It is the world’s second largest aquarium (the largest is in Atlanta, GA) and is famous for having whale sharks. The aquarium is a part of the Ocean Expo Commemorative National Government Park, but we didn’t explore the park grounds since it was a rainy day.

That Friday we headed back to Shikoku and before we left Okinawa we paused in the airport and gave serious consideration to the idea of not returning to our apartments and jobs and staying in Okinawa. Practically won over impulsiveness in this case, but Okinawa is a beautiful place and I wouldn’t mind living there at all.



Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Habu-shuuHabu-shuu
Habu-shuu

snake liquer, yummy.
Under the SeaUnder the Sea
Under the Sea

Taken on an underwater disposable camera.


16th January 2009

Hey Elizabeth, I just read your last two blog entries! Sounds and looks wonderful. I wish you continued happiness and more unexpected surprises based on impulsive decision-making!

Tot: 0.316s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.2543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb