Okinawa Honto - first impressions


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Okinawa » Okinawa Honto
April 13th 2014
Published: April 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Okinawa Honto (沖縄本島) is the main island in the 1000km long Ryukyu Islands stretching from southern Japan to Taipei. It is a tiny scrap of subtropical green in a huge vastness of ocean. It is small - one third the size of Kangaroo Island and one sixty-fifth the size of Tasmania, with a population of 1.4 million. The skyline is low jagged mountains floating above calm azure seas, punctuated with industrial chimneys, monster cranes and military paraphernalia. Lawsons, kanji, vending machines and calls of "irashi masu" make it clear that this is part of Japan. The vividly coloured buildings, shisa シーサー (pairs of lion dogs that guard every house), and military presence suggest that it might not be. The influence of the Ryukyu Kingdom (琉球王国), a maritime trading nation from the 14th century, can still be felt here.

The terrain is very hilly and the traffic not very bike friendly, so with the help of one colleague I have bought my very first road bike with lots of gears. With trepidation I headed home from the bike shop, quickly to discover that she zooms along. My test ride with another colleague, for the 5.2 kilometre ride to work was through sugar cane fields and past plantations of yellow and white chrysanthemums destined for flower markets somewhere.

The welcome party for new staff was held on a white coral strewn private beach, edged by limestone cliffs and topped with pandanus. Its a tough beginning. Okinawa is the tropical paradise of Japan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



13th April 2014

wow!
the beginnings of another epic cultural immersion. ....private beach? who owns? and isn't this where a bunch of rsther old people .live like 100 yr olds?? really enjoyed reading : )
18th April 2014

Surrounded by youth
Hi trees. You would really enjoy the variety of flowers. Apparently there are lots of really old people living in quite traditional villages, in the north of the island. I am working with a staff of 30 to 40 somethings. The young okinawan women are feisty! I am enjoying your daily photoblogs.

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb