Nara


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Nara
September 9th 2011
Published: September 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We decided to take another day trip, and as Nara was only a 30 minute subway ride away thought we would go see what all the fuss was about.

We walked along the main street to Nara-kōen, the park where most of the sights are located and first stopped off to see the five story pagoda. All around us were the towns no1 attraction – deer . There are hundreds of wild deer wondering around the town hanging out at the major attractions waiting for tourists to purchase ‘deer cookies’. We of course bought some cookies for the deer and were immediately surrounded….

We walked on to Tōdai-ji temple which houses a giant Buddha. As we were walking back out one of the deer snatched an unsuspecting Angelo’s tourist map from his hand and started to munch away. Angelo proceeded to chase the deer who seemed to be teasing him. For some reason it brought back memories of that cow chase a few days into our trip back in Mumbai. He eventually retrieved the map from the deer’s mouth although by then it was not much good!

We took a little walk around Sangatsu-dō Hal where the view was beautiful – or at least it would have been if it were not for the scaffolding obstructing our view of it.

We decided we had seen enough (we mainly came for the deer) and stopped for coffee on our way back to the station.

After a few hours back at the hostel we headed out to the Dotonbori area for a stroll around and some dinner at a restaurant where you order your meal on a touchscreen on your table. Good job there were pictures or we may have had a problem….

Deb & Ang



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Useless map.. Useless map..
Useless map..

He is in the background mocking ....


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb