Kobe, Japan (Kyoto & Nara)


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Nara » Nara
March 30th 2014
Published: March 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

19thMarch – Kobe



Kobe lies between deep blue waters of Osaka Bay and the tree clad hills on Honshu. In 1995 a devastating earthquake (7.3 Richter) killed over 6000 people and made 300,000 homeless. It became known as the Great Hanshin Earthquake because as well as destroying the city’s infrastructure it caused the collapse of the elevated section of the Hanshin highway. Some damage is still visible, and as part of the regeneration several memorial parks have been created.



Kobe is home to the famous ‘Kobe beef’ , the animal is massaged every day and fed beer, it is also said that they are supported so that their feet do not touch the ground giving a more marbled effect on the beef!!!



Our tour was another long one (11 hours) and was entitled ‘Ancient Japan’



The tour took us to two former capitals of Japan – Nara & Kyoto.



Our first call was to Nara, home of the Todaiji Temple. Known for the great image of Buddha the building itself is the largest wooden structure in the world.



Then onto the Kasuga Taisha Shrine, originally built in 768 AD has been rebuilt over 50 times according to Shinto religion. Over 2000 stone lanterns (I didn’t count them) line the pathways before passing through the Torii gate.



Another good Japanese/Western style lunch before heading out to guess what (two more temples). Although to be fair the first was the Golden Pavilion, a three storey pavilion, covered in gold leaf and set in tranquil gardens and a serene pool (the trees are all trimmed in the Bonsai way).



Finally to the Kiyomizu Dera Temple and by this time it was beginning to get dark. This temple is supported by pillars against the mountain and is unique in that not one nail was used in its construction. The balconies give great views over Kyoto but it was getting a bit grey and dour at this stage. Quite a few people opted out of the walk to the top (not us) but it was getting a lot colder by the time we got back to the coach.



Finally back to the ship, for a latish supper before a day at sea preparing for Nagasaki. I don’t think we have any temples to view there (I may be wrong!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.522s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb