Family reunion


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Nagasaki
October 18th 2019
Published: October 18th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Nagasaki tramNagasaki tramNagasaki tram

The Scottish team did their training here and awarded the town with its own Nagasaki Tartan...not sure if it's this one though!
We caught a fast ferry to take us over the sea to the Nagasaki Prefecture. Then the local train that took us along the coast. By lunch time we were at the city of Nagasaki, located on the west of Kyushu well known due to its history.
Surrounded by majestic mountains the city feels less 'city' like than many of the other places we have been to, with trams rattling along the streets and a huge port area. In the evening we had a catch up drink and dinner with Davids cousin, Alison and her husband Rod,who only live in London but we haven't seen them for ages.
The next day we went to the Peace park and museum... bumping into Alison and Rod..
In the evening we took the cable car up to the viewing point to see the city lights.... bumping into Alison and Rod....it's a good job we knew they were there or it could have been a bit of a shock!
Nagasaki was where the 2nd Atomic bomb landed in August '45 causing over 74,000 deaths and similar numbers of injured . The central part of the park has a Fountain which looks like beating wings of the dove of peace . Water was very much the theme as so many people died due to lack of water.
We found this park and museum more moving than Hiroshima, simpler I think, and they did at least mention the Japanese part in Pearl Harbour....glossed over in Hiroshima!
As a complete antidote....we travelled north up to Huis ten Bosch which can only be described as BONKERS!!
Basically a Theme park based on Amsterdam, with windmills, canals, gardens, castles the lot. It was holding the 'World Flower and Garden show' and I wanted to go as we knew a couple of the international designers who were competing. Unfortunately they had all flown home the weekend before and we couldn't meet up as we had to go to the rugby! But the show is on for another couple of weeks.
It was AMAZING! The floral art was a good as any I've seen in the big shows in Belgium, the outside gardens perhaps not Chelsea standard but still some nice ones.
This was held in the Palace, where all the staff were not required to look like Where's Wally..
There was also an amazing Art gallery featuring many Picasso, Dozens of Utrillo and some Renoir.
There was also amazing Gold, Glass and Porcelain exhibitions.
The rest of the day was spent doing virtual stuff as it didn't have big rides but plenty of places to have a sit down and wear a head piece.
It really came into it's own lit up( we really didn't think we'd still be there at dark but it gets dark about 5ish.
So strange but a great day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

GardenGarden
Garden

Garden by Kazuyuki Ishihara numerous gold medals at Chelsea. Not often do you get a chance to walk around one of his!


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb