EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Miyagi » Sendai
March 11th 2011
Published: March 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Great Wave Great Wave Great Wave

Hokusai woodblock print of a tsunami.
There is a famous painting by the Japanese artist Hokusai depicting a giant tsunami. What was an image on a woodblock print has become a reality. We received word yesterday afternoon of the catastrophe in Japan. It looks like the worst of the damage occurred in the Sendai area. We were there in October of 2009 and recall the drive in from the port to the city. The topography there is very flat land open to the sea making the area very vulnerable to tidal waves.

We are currently docked in Manila, Philippines. These islands were put on tsunami alert and our Captain made an announcement about it. Fortunately for Manila and for us, the tidal wave struck the east coast of these islands and we are on the more protected west coast. We are fine and are planning to go to Corregidor today.

I spoke with my sister last night who with her husband is vacationing in Maui. Teresa and Matt were told that they had to evacuate from their hotel on the Kaanapali coast. So they took their phones, computers, water and some clothes and drove up into the mountains above Lahaina. I talked to them about
Matt and Friends on MauiMatt and Friends on MauiMatt and Friends on Maui

Tailgating on the mountain
an hour prior to the arrival of the waves. Most people were evacuated by bus if they didn't have rental cars. So they just hung out with fellow evacuees--sort of like a tailgate party. They sent a message this morning that they are fine and planning to make leis today.

My brother in New Zealand reported in and he is hoping to surf the waves as they roll in.

Apparently all is well in San Francisco and with our boat in Sausalito.

So now our thoughts go back to Japan and the tragedy they are facing.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb