Edit Blog Post
Published: September 19th 2006
Fushimi Inari ShrineI am in Japan!!! A long way from Adelaide, Australia, but here I am in Shizuoka for a year teaching at an English Kindergarten while seeing and experiencing as much of this crazy, mixed up, amazing country as I can!
This is the main shrine dedicated to Inari in Japan. Inari is the Shinto God of Rice.
When Marissas parents were here we went back to Kyoto for 2 nights.
These are my highlights from the trip!!...................
1. Sanjusangendo- the 1001 wooden statues of Kannon with 42 arms each!
2. Weird girl on the bus screwing up her nose, sticking her tongue out and making funny faces at her boyfriend and continuing to do so even after she saw us giggling uncontrollably at her!
3. Kiyomizudera- "Pure Water Temple" Our ryokan was right near here, so we walked up. Not just another temple!!!!
4. Cormorant Fishing at Arashiyama- Not as great as I had expected but still worth doing- felt a bit sorry for the cormorants- once they had caught a fish the man hauled them into the boat and choked them so they had to spit the fish up!!!!
5. Monkey Forest in Arashiyama- The monkeys were funny, and we had a great view of Kyoto- "Its a bloody big
Its great when the Shink isnt crowded and you can spread out!!!
city"- right Spiro!!! Marissa also conquered her fear of monkeys here.
6. Fushimi Inari- And re enacting the scene from Memoirs of a Geisha when Sayuri runs through all the torii gates with the handkerchief and the money that the chairman gave her.
7. Being a 'fourth wheel'- some hilarious moments with Marissa, Spiro and Karina- thanks for taking me with you!!!!
Tot: 3.179s; Tpl: 0.048s; cc: 17; qc: 121; dbt: 0.0823s; 3; m:saturn w:www (184.108.40.206); sld: 2;
; mem: 1.6mb