Haven't we already been here???


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
October 11th 2018
Published: October 11th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Fire bucket Fire bucket Fire bucket

Many small streets have these sitting along the sidewalk.
Last night we looked through the guidebook to see if we had missed anything in Kyoto that we really wanted to see on this trip, since we only had today left (we are taking a day trip to Nara tomorrow).

We had already planned to visit Nijo Castle in the afternoon. Looking at the book, we came across a temp!e that got rave reviews, but didn't sound familiar, so we set off to visit it this morning...

We walked through now familiar neighborhoods, and decided to take a narrow road up towards the temple. This road became a path through the oldest cemetery in Kyoto...We wound our way up the mountain, arriving at Kiyomizu-dera Temp!e. We had to go slightly downhill to get to the ticket booth.....

And found ourselves at the temple entrance where we had been besieged by thousands of school kids yesterday!

We entered the grounds this time (still full of school groups), and had an enjoyable walk once we were able to get away from the crowds.

After brunch, we took a train to Nijo Castle, which was also very crowded with school groups and other tour groups. People were arguing with
Garbage truck!Garbage truck!Garbage truck!

The garbage trucks are so cute here...
the employees about removing their shoes.....

Once we got out of the main building, the gardens were peaceful.

On the way back to the station, we happened upon the oldest garden in Kyoto, created in the 600's. It was a lovely little spot, with a large pond fed by a spring.

Once back at the station, we took a series of escalators up to the Sky Garden.

We had dinner in the station (there is an excellent restaurant area on the lower level) and returned home. I went grocery shopping while Bill researched our trip to Nara tomorrow....


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Nijo CastleNijo Castle
Nijo Castle

Old armored door
Jizo statues with bibsJizo statues with bibs
Jizo statues with bibs

Jizo is the protector of children, especially those who are deceased. Parents will tie children's bibs on the statues.
Part of the oldest cemeteryPart of the oldest cemetery
Part of the oldest cemetery

It's about three times larger than this!
KiyomitzuderaKiyomitzudera
Kiyomitzudera

Door detail
KiyomitzuderaKiyomitzudera
Kiyomitzudera

Hike to the pagoda
KiyomitzuderaKiyomitzudera
Kiyomitzudera

Dragon fountain
KiyomitzuderaKiyomitzudera
Kiyomitzudera

Sound of Feathers waterfall... drinking from it is said to bring good luck.
Fashionable young women at KiyomitzuderaFashionable young women at Kiyomitzudera
Fashionable young women at Kiyomitzudera

I don't know how the one on the left managed the paths with those heels!
KiyomitzuderaKiyomitzudera
Kiyomitzudera

Huge beams under the main building


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb