So many shrines.....


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto » Kyoto
October 8th 2018
Published: October 8th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We didn't sleep well because of the train noise, and decided to get up early, make instant coffee, and head out to visit the main shrine in Kyoto before it got too hot. It's a holiday in Japan today (sports day) and we were not alone in thinking of an early start!

We decided to walk the half hour to the Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine. It is known for its red tori gates and is the central Shinto shrine. Inari is the god of rice, sake, and prosperity. Foxes are the animal used in representing Inari, I think...since fox statues are everywhere! We spent an hour or so walking some of the paths, before heading toward the Tofukuji Temple.

This temple was established in 1236 and is in the Rinzai Zen Buddhist tradition. It has the oldest gate in Japan. We walked around the beautiful grounds before returning home for breakfast and a rest.

Next we walked back to the station and took a train to South Kyoto, to visit the Byodo-in Temple. Built in 1030, it is located on the Ugigawa River, and is also Buddhist. We had a cup of the green tea that the region is known for in a tea house on the grounds. We then walked across the river onto an island, and across another bridge to visit one of the oldest shrines in Japan.

We took a rapid train back, and decided to visit another part of the Tofukuji Temple before it closed. The gardens were cool and peaceful, after the heat of the day!

We stopped at a small neighborhood noodle shop for an early dinner. We had a simple meal of fresh edamane and soba noodles with tofu and vegetables. A stop at the grocery was next, and then home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Many Japanese were dressed up today for the holiday, perhaps.Many Japanese were dressed up today for the holiday, perhaps.
Many Japanese were dressed up today for the holiday, perhaps.

This woman was so perfectly attired, down to her socks!


8th October 2018

Kyoto Shrines
Hi you two - bringing back memories of my trip there in 1970 ('71?). If you get a chance to go to Nijo Castle, do check out the Nightingale floors; It was very memorable for me and they still work!

Tot: 0.481s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 109; dbt: 0.1962s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb