Kyushu Japan. Day 4


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kumamoto » Kumamoto
April 19th 2015
Published: April 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 4. Aso to Kumamoto
39 miles. Ave 13.0 mph. Ascent 560m.
As we left the hotel there were just a few drops of rain but within 2 miles it became heavier until we were forced into our wet weather gear, complete with yellow helmet cover. Once in Aso we went to the store and bought lunch, which comprised sandwiches of the mon fish variety, thankfully. We are are almost fished up already. The route from here took us up onto Mount Aso through trees until it was open moorland reminiscent of the North York Moors. Unfortunately due to poor visibility, wind and rain we did not reach the volcano basin but turned back down the other side towards the west. Stopping for a snack at the non-lookout gave the rain time to subside and giving us a marvellous descent on dryer roads. This was an incredible drop into the valley with sweeping hair-pin bends and no cars to baulk us, unlike yesterday where every descent became a procession behind a numbskull in a car or pickup. Once down we swept to the right and followed the fertile valley into Kumamoto, a city of 500,000 population. The road ran parallel to the main road and was very quiet through villages with well kept gardens and the obligatory sculptured trees, which are truly beautiful. We regrouped for lunch and processed for numerous miles along the pavements to our hotel in the centre, arriving at 2.30. The rooms had BEDS tonight and tea making facilities (of the green variety only). Down to blogging duties before going into town for an evening meal of pancakes with noodles and yes, seafood filling. If you call starfish tentacles seafood that was an accurate description. Luckily we borrowed brollies from the hotel which saved a drenching. Ken, our local guide, did say ’It rains in Japan’, not ’Rain is likely in Japan’. There is a difference. Back to the hotel for more blogging before eyelids fall down prematurely again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Another SamuraiAnother Samurai
Another Samurai

Found wandering castle grounds.
Modern farm cropModern farm crop
Modern farm crop

In fields approaching the city.


Tot: 0.448s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb