A peaceful morning in Kochi


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kochi
April 18th 2019
Published: April 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Departure from the ship was very prompt and efficient unlike yesterday. We drove up into the mountains and visited one of the 88 Temples which are on a sort of pilgrimage trail. The Godaisan Chikurinji temple has a guest house with a typical Japanese garden. That is- trees rocks, moss, water and a few bushes , very minimalist but made to relax ones mind and allow contemplation. You take off your shoes and observe the garden from the guest house. A short walk from here is the actual temple which we couldn't go into but could peer through the doorway. It had a wooden roof made of tiny pieces of wood all hand placed with no nails and needed frequently replacing. The surrounding area was really peaceful with the odd shrine and also covered Buddhas. If a family has a baby they can come and dress the buddha for good luck. After this it was a short walk to the Makino Botanical Garden which had a lovely conservatory with huge orchids and a lovely walk through the gardens. It was so peaceful and relaxing. We were lucky to see the green cherry blossom which is very unusual.

Back on board we are doing the daily trivia but there are only 4 on our team so we don't get points every day. We met our neighbours at the "block Party" where everyone comes out into the corridor and gets a drink and chats which is quite fun. We share a table every night at dinner so have met lots of people. Must confess the Brits and Ozzies are the most fun. Keep meaning to have an early night but end up chatting in the bar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



19th April 2019

Temple closed to public
Never have understood why any place of worship would ever close its door.
21st April 2019

closed temple
Apparently they open it every 45years

Tot: 0.533s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb