Yokokama


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kanagawa » Yokohama
March 30th 2014
Published: March 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

17thMarch – Yokohama



Our arrival into Yokohama was pretty spectacular; we had time it right at low tide for the ship to pass under the bridge. We had 6 feet to spare and at 11.30 at night it looked even closer.



After the late night, we were ready for our trip to Tokyo. Yokohama is about 18 miles from Tokyo and lies on the Pacific coast of Honshu, the largest Japanese island.



The tour was Tokyo Highlights with Japanese lunch.



The traffic is something else (I’ll never maon about the traffic in the UK) Into downtown Tokyo for the first temple of the day with its accompanying Shinto shrine.



The Senso-ji features a small gold statue of the Goddess of Mercy, two great gates and shops known as Nakamise – shopping was partaken of!!!



Onto a woodland park (yes in the middle of the city) to the Meiji Shrine, the emporer Meiji oversaw the country from medieval to modern times. It was during his reign that Edo became Japans new capital which was later renamed Tokyo. There were 40ft Torii gates to enter the shrine.



A great Teppanyaki lunch (cooked in front of you) with the famous Kobe beef.



Then, after lunch a photographic stop only at the Imperial Palace Plaza, where the Emporer and family reside. I mentioned how claen and tidy the Japanese are, even the tramps in lying in the park looked neat!!



Back to Yokohama through the traffic – some coaches took nearly two hours to get back, we were lucky, with only an hours drive.



Very impressed with Tokyo


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.736s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 27; qc: 82; dbt: 0.2107s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb