Architecture in Kawasaki?


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kanagawa » Kawasaki
November 16th 2011
Published: November 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was our first serious encounter with the Tokyo rail system,. It is incredibly efficient, well-organised and USEFUL (ACTION buses we're looking at you). It's also pretty easy to navigate and only occasionally confusing! Tess' awesome, super advanced three word Japanese conversation with a nice young woman at the platform ("Excuse me..." "" "Arigato!") got us on the right train and about an hour later, to Nihon Minka-en in Kawasaki City.

Nihon Minkaen is the' Japanese Open-Air Folk House Museum' (now you see why we're using the Japanese name!). It's made up of 23 traditional houses (and a few other structures like a water mill, boatmen's shed etc) dating from the 1600s to very early 1900s, which have been relocated from all over Japan to a section of beautiful lush hillside in Ikuta Park near Kawasaki.

This description completely fails to do it justice. They have woven everything together in this seamless way so that it feels like you're wandering along a path through history, albeit with modern dressed Japanese people saying 'konichi wa' to you. Honestly, it felt like we were in another world. The day was perfect for it, as we got up into the hills there was a chill in the air (we could see our breath) and a sharp tang of woodsmoke from the open hearth fires burning in some of the houses (very much a sort of living history thing). There were also very few tourists and all of them were Japanese, so it was still really peaceful and atmospheric. The forest around was just beautiful, green and lush (with some autumn leaves still about), with all the houses hidden up steep winding paths in their own little groves. There were lots of workers/volunteers who are obviously passionate about keeping it maintained and alive. The architecture was amazing and was really interesting to see how much it differed in style from region to region based on the geographic location, weather conditions and the materials available. From steep sloping thick thatched roof cottages (Trogdor's fave) to shallow sloping split boards weighted with stones. Gnarled beams made from whatever timber was available and it all somehow combines into one of the most beautiful architectural styles we've experienced. The day was defined by this feeling of otherworldly zen peace.

Can you tell
Scooterville, JapanScooterville, JapanScooterville, Japan

On the way to the folk houses
we liked it?

Possibly the best 6 dollars we've ever spent. Possibly the most we've ever abused the 'toy camera' effect on our new Canons. Either way, it rates high.

Last night we went to Tokyu Hands. As Tess describes it (repeatedly) POSSIBLY THE BEST STORE I HAVE BEEN TO IN MY LIFE. Also see, "OH MY GOD THIS PLACE IS INCREDIBLE" "THAT WAS JUST AMAZING" "I COULD HONESTLY SPEND A FULL DAY IN THERE" "I CAN'T BELIEVE I WAS SO RESTRAINED, I COULD HAVE EASILY SPENT $500 DOLLARS ON EACH FLOOR" (there are 8 floors) "WHEN ARE WE GOING BACK?"

They call it a 'creative life store' and it has EVERYTHING you could ever think of and many things I bet you never did think of. From handbags and Christmas decorations to leatherworking supplies and miniature lego models, from dress up costumes to all the kitchen gadgets you never knew you needed until this exact moment, It. Has. Everything. Tess' thought process, on repeat, basically went:

-What IS this???
-Ohhhh. OK, do I ACTUALLY need it?
-...SHOULD I GET IT ANYWAY?

SO great. We are going back.

love Tess & Aisha


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

AwesomeAwesome
Awesome

on the way to Nihon Minka-en
Sign Of The Day (SOTD)Sign Of The Day (SOTD)
Sign Of The Day (SOTD)

House on fire? Call the Squirrel Brigade! I mean, Fire Brigade!
The Emukai HouseThe Emukai House
The Emukai House

late 17th century
The Emukai HouseThe Emukai House
The Emukai House

late 17th century
The Ota HouseThe Ota House
The Ota House

late 1600s
Doorways in the Hara HouseDoorways in the Hara House
Doorways in the Hara House

Something tells me they didn't build it with 6foot3 foreigners in mind...


16th November 2011

Tokyu Hands
I want it all! Surely they have an online shop? could you be my online shop?
22nd November 2011

I need all of the things.
See comment title.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb