On Shikoku -and our Indian summer is over!


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kagawa » Takamatsu
December 2nd 2014
Published: December 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

The past week has been full of contrasts in Japan and for our group. Temperatures in the 20's in Tottori and the Adachi Gardens and Museum, hot enough in Hagi for some to go bike riding and for all to take a river cruise, have plunged to below 10 with cold winds in the last couple of days. Sunshine on the Tottori Sand dunes was replaced by torrential rain in Miyajima. Yesterday the winds were so strong on Shikoku that they stopped the trains crossing the big bridge across from Okayama and our group was almost blown off the top of Matsuyama castle. Winter has arrived and our suitcases are lighter because we are wearing all the many layers of woollens under coats, gloves and beanies!

After Kyoto we began train travel in earnest and have traversed Japan twice as we travelled along the Sanin Coast of the Sea of Japan and then crossed back to the Inland Sea. It is so easy with our JR passes to move from one train to another as they seamlessly coordinate their timetables. As well as trains we have used a JR bus, a JR ferry and a JR hotel. The passes are
Local trainLocal trainLocal train

Cathy and Peter made friends
only for overseas visitors and make it easy and reasonably priced to get around.

We crossed from Hiroshima to Matsuyama on Shikoku on a fast ferry yesterday with tram rides at both ends! Today we came by train to Takamatsu and climbed a mountain near town when we visited a folk village of old houses and buildings. The local volunteer guides Col organised are great and as they walk and talk to a small group about the sights in their town we learn a lot.Everyone shares stories so that they learn more about Australia and practice their English at the same time.

Tomorrow after we visit Ritsurin (one of the most beautiful traditional gardens in Japan) we will leave Takamatsu and head into the mountains to Iya Onsen for a couple of days for relaxing and enjoying the wild scenery. Then we will cross back to the main island, for a monastery stay in Koyasan and then finish our trip at Nara. Hide, our guide from 2012, is with us and is once again proving to be both a wonderful guide and a lot of fun to be with.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Sand hills in Japan!Sand hills in Japan!
Sand hills in Japan!

They were quite impressive
Sunset viewing Sunset viewing
Sunset viewing

Nothing like soaking the feet in a hot spring whilst watching sunset- just ask Rod and Jan
Jacob and MinchiJacob and Minchi
Jacob and Minchi

Looking beautiful at dinner
Sheri and Kevin Sheri and Kevin
Sheri and Kevin

What a glamorous couple!
The lake top bath houseThe lake top bath house
The lake top bath house

The hot spring bubbles up through the lake at this luxurious resort. We were the first Austrlians to ever stay there. Not sur ewho was more excited- us or them!
River rideRiver ride
River ride

Maybe we can organise to send a few over to replace the ferries whilst the wharf is out!
Hide showinghow to do origamiHide showinghow to do origami
Hide showinghow to do origami

He made it look so easy!
MiyajimaMiyajima
Miyajima

The big wet arrived that day


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb